Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Forge 1.16.5] Cannot play sounds

I can't seem to get a sound to play. Code is:

player.getLevel().playSound(player, player.blockPosition(), SoundEvents.SHIELD_BLOCK, SoundCategory.PLAYERS, 5, 1);

"player" is of type ServerPlayerEntity. I know this code is being called, but no sound is playing.

Yes, I know I wasn't using it correctly, that is extremely unhelpful. 

Fortunately, I was able to figure it out. turns out you have to pass null as the entity argument, which the docs don't do a good job of explaining.

8 hours ago, theishiopian said:

turns out you have to pass null as the entity argument, which the docs don't do a good job of explaining.

Yes, they do explain it very well. I quote:

The correspondence between the behaviors implies that these two methods are to be called from some player-initiated code that will be run on both logical sides at the same time - the logical client handles playing it to the user and the logical server handles everyone else hearing it without re-playing it to the original user. They can also be used to play any sound in general at any position server-side by calling it on the logical server and passing in a null player, thus letting everyone hear it.

What about that is not clear?