[1.7.10] Problems using other mods in development environment

Villain

So here's my goals:

[*]Add Redstone Flux API to my mod

[*]Create an item that stores RF and uses it

[*]Be able to test that item in my dev environment using a mod, in this case: Thermal Expansion

After reading 30 different ways to do it that were all rather vague or descriptive in the wrong places I'm totally confused. Dropping mods into the forge/eclipse/mods folder doesn't work (they cause crashes). Adding them to forge/lib and re-running gradle commands adds them to my project (Which I don't think I want to do.. right?)... I'm totally lost.

So can anyone shed any light? Push me in the right direction? Know of any up-to-date wikis or forum posts that would help?

Thank you in advance.

After reading 30 different ways to do it that were all rather vague or descriptive in the wrong places I'm totally confused. Dropping mods into the forge/eclipse/mods folder doesn't work (they cause crashes). Adding them to forge/lib and re-running gradle commands adds them to my project (Which I don't think I want to do.. right?)... I'm totally lost.

Put CodeChickenCore in your mods folder.  You may need the "dev" version.

Your problem is that the dev environment is deobfuscated (so you can read it) and mods are obfuscated (so they bloody work).  CCC does runtime deobf

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thank you for your reply.

With CodeChickenLib-1.7.10-1.1.3.134-dev in my forge/eclipse/mods folder, the game will launch just fine. However, when I add in any other mod, dev version or not, the game will still crash.

For simplicities sake I've been trying to get NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.4.95 working but dev or universal versions both crash the game very quickly on launch with the following error log;

http://pastebin.com/76QhJQYC

It's worth nothing that ChickenBones' forum post links to CodeChikenLib, which it says is the new name for CodeChickenCore. The latest version of CCL (for 1.7.10) being CodeChickenLib-1.7.10-1.1.3.134-dev. However on his website for all the other downloads it's still called CodeChickenCore and the latest version is CodeChickenCore-1.7.10-1.0.5.37-dev.

I tried both with exactly the same results.

As an aside, I have CCC/NEI in my dev environment as external libraries.  Doesn't crash...but doesn't load the mods either.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

In a fit of irony: if I try that with Rotary Craft, it crashes,  so wtf.

Strange... Meahwhile, i can play in dev environment with mods like buildcraft, termal expansion, tinkers construct... How ever i'm not using code chicken core, and just putting dev files in eclipse/mods.

Oh, and also: to make my mods with them, i put api package in src/main/java and all works perfectly...

just putting dev files in eclipse/mods.

Well.  Yeah.  They're dev builds.

Reika does not supply dev builds of his mods, only universal.  So that is no-go for me.

Strange... Meahwhile, i can play in dev environment with mods like buildcraft, termal expansion, tinkers construct... How ever i'm not using code chicken core, and just putting dev files in eclipse/mods.

Oh, and also: to make my mods with them, i put api package in src/main/java and all works perfectly...

I've tried exactly this. Getting the API works just fine but not the other mods, even dev versions. With or without codechickencore.

Perhaps I was using the wrong version of something. Could you please post a list of filenames for thermal expansion that definitely work so I can check if that's the problem?

just putting dev files in eclipse/mods.

Well.  Yeah.  They're dev builds.

Reika does not supply dev builds of his mods, only universal.  So that is no-go for me.

Even if you got your hands on a dev build (which you're right, does not exist), you'd still need all of the 20+ something other mods that RotaryCraft depends on. Reika sent me links to all of them once, but I couldn't bring myself to saturate my workspace with so many dependencies. :\

Guess that makes me lazy or whatever, but holy hell, all I wanted to do was use a single f-ing interface from RC in several of my block classes. I wonder if I could simply pull that one class out and leave it in the correct package structure and use it that way...

His mods don't actually depend on each other, I didn't think.  Either way, yeah, his setup is a mess IMO.

And yes, you could probably do that.

Me, I just need the RoC api to work, and the Extractor API (which I requested and he built because I wanted to handle things differently) doesn't even work yet.  I ended up basically compiling up my mod calling his API in the supposedly intended manner, and saying "Here.  This calls your API.  Figure out why it's crashing when I do."

Ironically, the extractor requires a block input and the ore I'm trying to supply is an item, so I had to package the ore up as a block, width=32 height=32http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/reasonable-realism/images/1/10/Grid_Hard_Ore.png/revision/latest?cb=20150419190850[/img], and just give it the right ore dict name ("oreIron" etc).  I can't oreDict the actual ore that way, because it's worth an amount of ore dependent on its metadata, not "1 ingot" and the Extractor API runs off oreDict names, not item stacks.

(That graphic doesn't read well on white, and I can't change the background color of the post behind it...make it a link, there, ha, make the browser do my work for me.  Basically, I didn't know what to make a "stack of 9" look like as a block, so I made it a storage cube with the item graphic drawn inside as crossed squares, like the example in the multiple pass blocks tutorial).

I've been trying this. I tried using latest dev version of the TE set of mods and it launched the game and then crashed once the mods downloaded their configs or whatever it is they do.

I also tried with dev jars of the same version as those I'm using in my current play pack (just to ensure I had the right ones), with the same result.

I managed to narrow down the problem to COFHCore alone. The kind folks over at #thermalexpansion on espernet advised me to try CCC, which I'd done several times but as they probably know more than I, I tried it again. This time, for unknown (possibly unholy) reasons, CCC threw up a box asking me to select 'MCP's conf dir'. A little googling got me to set that to %USER_HOME%/.gradle/caches/minecraft/net/minecraftforge/forge/FORGE_VERSION/unpacked/conf and all is golden. It's working just fine now.

I managed to narrow down the problem to COFHCore alone. The kind folks over at #thermalexpansion on espernet advised me to try CCC, which I'd done several times but as they probably know more than I, I tried it again. This time, for unknown (possibly unholy) reasons, CCC threw up a box asking me to select 'MCP's conf dir'. A little googling got me to set that to %USER_HOME%/.gradle/caches/minecraft/net/minecraftforge/forge/FORGE_VERSION/unpacked/conf and all is golden. It's working just fine now.

I asked chickenbones about this once, It's supposed to do this process automatically in 1.7.10, in 1.8 you have to select in manually. So I'm not sure how come it messes up and how come it asked you to select the directory. If there was a way to force it that would be great because that would solve lots of issues.

I tried this earlier tonight after our discussion, and had partial luck.  I was able to point CCC to the gradle cache dir above, and it found some of the needed files there (like packaged.srg), but others (like methods.csv, and joined.srg one I forget) are not there.

My actual MCP/conf directory (i.e. from an actual MCP download/build) is the other way around -- contains joined.srg and methods.csv, but not packaged.srg.