Block entity tick method not working

zalasz

Hello, the title is pretty much self explanatory i have two classes one for the block and the other for my block entity, like mentioned in here (Forge docs).

My block class has the following method

@Nullable
    @Override
    public <T extends BlockEntity> BlockEntityTicker<T> getTicker(Level level, BlockState state, BlockEntityType<T> type) {
        return type == TileInit.RITUAL_BLOCK_TILE.get() ? TileRitualBlock::tick : null;
    }

And my block entity

public static <T> void tick(Level level, BlockPos pos, BlockState state, T blockEntity) {
        int i = 0, k = 0;
        if(i >= 60){
            Log.getLogger().info(level.isClientSide ? "Client Says " : "Server Says " + Integer.toString(k++));
            i = 0;
        }
        i++;
    }

The getTicker is correctly referencing my static tick method inside my block entity as far as i know but i can't understand why this is not working, the code is exactly the same as in forge docs. 

Thanks in advance

16 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Is getTicker called? Does it return the correct thing? Check with the debugger.

Good evening, sorry for the delay but thanks to your comment i was able to confirm that the method getTicker is returning the correct thing which is my TileRitualBlock::tick.

However the problem still persists, I am assuming it's because of the Generics of my tick method but im not sure. Also i found a solution for this using a lambda expression rather than the method reference but i really don't know why it does not work with the method reference. 

12 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

The two should really be equivalent.

I found the problem and actually it was totally my fault, the tick method has been working the entire time but because it was static and i was declaring the variables inside of it, my if statement was always false.

int i = 0, k = 0;
if(i >= 60){
	Log.getLogger().info(level.isClientSide ? "Client Says " : "Server Says " + Integer.toString(k++));
	i = 0;
}
i++;

That's why i wasn't getting any output from the Logger.

I do apologize for the inconvenience as this was due to my lack of attention and improper testing on my behalf.