Rendering entity made of multiples blocks

iFaZe_

Hi,

I'm new to forge modding, i have a dev background (PHP, Flutter...) and i want to create my own mod, at least trying to make some things.

So i need some help to start, i already do some java and i can learn fast. I got a main problem idk from where to start so i need your help !

I want to create a vehicle mod, i know i cannot do it few days but i want to know from where i need to start, rendering, entity and blocks are complex for me and idk what i need to use and i cannot find tutorials ..

So my main problem is, how to render a movable structure made of blocks : like a simple boat => NCZwaWQ9QXBp

I'm not familiar with java and minecraft modding, but if someone can explain the steps to do what i want it's perfect.

I want to create an entity or something movable made of blocks (like the picture)

After i need some things more like collision, it's perfect if i can "walk" on the boat...

i already know some mods like archimeds ships ... and something like can be perfect,

but without entity to block, i mean i don't want to the entity can be block or breakable ...

i have no prefered version for modding.

thanks for help and reply ;)

4 hours ago, iFaZe_ said:

I want to create a vehicle mod, i know i cannot do it few days but i want to know from where i need to start, rendering, entity and blocks are complex for me and idk what i need to use and i cannot find tutorials ..

The official docs and the forge community wiki are both good starting points. We typically don't recommend video tutorials except those from McJty. As for other stuff, just read the source code and use it as a basis to improve upon.

So my main problem is, how to render a movable structure made of blocks : like a simple boat => 

I mean, it's an entity, just rendered to be a bunch of blocks.

I'm not familiar with java and minecraft modding, but if someone can explain the steps to do what i want it's perfect.

You're going to need to be very familiar with Minecraft modding and Java to attempt anything close to this. As for steps, it depends on a lot of things. I recommend giving it a try yourself and ask questions when you get stuck rather than asking for step-by-step instructions on how to program. Also, we don't give support to people without the relevant Java knowledge or else they copy-paste and ask for the solutions without understanding how to think themselves.

i already know some mods like archimeds ships ... and something like can be perfect,

So, why not use one of those mods? Create comes to mind for something that can do this.

but without entity to block, i mean i don't want to the entity can be block or breakable ...

I have no idea what you're saying here, but you need an entity if you want it to not be locked to a specific place.

i have no prefered version for modding.

We only support the latest and LTS versions of Minecraft for modding (1.19.2 and 1.18.2 currently).

I want to "modify" the original archimed ship to update and add features

This is illegal, the original mod was under all rights reserved and as such cannot be "modified".

i searched and it use a "mobile" chunk redering

So an entity which rendered a chunk. Or it was back in the olden days so it could be weirder.

i'm currently learning java

Learn java first, then come back to modding once you have a basic understanding. Using a library before you learn the language is like trying to run before you know how to stand. Modding is a whole different beast comparable to winning an Olympic metal in gymnastics in our analogy. We do not provide support for people who do not understand at least an intermediate level of Java, so please come back once you do so.

This is illegal, the original mod was under all rights reserved and as such cannot be "modified".

Technically, it's only a copyright breach if you distribute it to other people.

If you have a legitimate copy, modifying for personal use is fine.

For the original poster, you might want to look at (and contribute to): https://github.com/ValkyrienSkies/Valkyrien-Skies-2

But since it is currently for 1.16.x you won;t get any support for it here.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

10 minutes ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

So an entity which rendered a chunk. Or it was back in the olden days so it could be weirder.

Learn java first, then come back to modding once you have a basic understanding. Using a library before you learn the language is like trying to run before you know how to stand. Modding is a whole different beast comparable to winning an Olympic metal in gymnastics in our analogy. We do not provide support for people who do not understand at least an intermediate level of Java, so please come back once you do so.

Omg you are so mad :/ i have a dev background (PHP and Flutter) and i understand well java basics ... I'm New to Minecraft / forge modding

1 minute ago, warjort said:

Technically, it's only a copyright breach if you distribute it to other people.

If you have a legitimate copy, modifying for personal use is fine.

For the original poster, you might want to look at (and contribute to): https://github.com/ValkyrienSkies/Valkyrien-Skies-2

But since it is currently for 1.16.x you won;t get any support for it here.

Yep i see this mod too, idk why there is version for mods, forge provide an sdk/api for modding but it's not compatible ?

17 minutes ago, iFaZe_ said:

Omg you are so mad :/ i have a dev background (PHP and Flutter) and i understand well java basics ... I'm New to Minecraft / forge modding

Apologies if it seems like I'm mad. I'm just trying to state the facts. When you say contradictory things like know the Java basics and learning Java, that leads me to believe you do not have a solid enough foundation to make a mod, hence my above statement.

17 minutes ago, iFaZe_ said:

Yep i see this mod too, idk why there is version for mods, forge provide an sdk/api for modding but it's not compatible ?

Forge doesn't provide any support for any versions that are not the current latest or LTS. Things change between versions of Minecraft and Forge is made up of volunteers, so we do not have the ability to maintain all versions. As such, there will likely always be at least one thing not compatible between versions (though it's usually more like a hundred things).

Ok so i'm really motivated and i setup a "learning" program, can you tell me
if you have some suggestions like some things i need to learn or some parts i forgot...

first i think i will try to do this "simple" things :
 - create a new block (ship controller block)
 - add right click event on this block ?
 - display a chat message like "you clicked on ship controller"

after i will try the "complex" part like :
 - add a craft to my new block ?
 - detect ship (just 3-4 blocks, the controller and few near blocks) on right click
 - saving ship somewhere (array or idk for now, if you have some suggestions)

after i think i need some help but i'm not at this point, for now if you can tell me 
how i need to save my ship maybe in future i want to make bigger ship so can you tell me
witch is the best ? maybe selecting corners like worldedit ? or with the ship controller
and detecting the near blocks...

I think you have the wrong idea about this forum.

In a court of law there is generally rule that judge's don't answer hypotheticals. They only rule on cases that actually have consequences.

This forum works in similar way.

We answer questions from people that have tried to write a mod and have hit a snag or bug they don't understand.

That way we are dealing with a concrete issue and the questioner has some understanding of what the answer means (having tried to do it themselves).

Your question is more like "I have a great idea for a mod, can you tell me how to write it?" which is way too open ended to get an answer.

Try to implement your mod, then come back when you have issues you need help with.

But don't be surprised if you are ignored or get a snarky answer when your question shows you haven't put the effort in yourself to find an answer.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.