Setting allowEdit to false?

SevenDeadly

I am trying to set allowEdit to false so that players cannot break certain blocks(vanilla blocks included) with a certain item(vanilla items included) or the fist. However, setting capabilities.allowEdit to false doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

@ForgeSubscribe
public void onPlayerBlockInteraction(PlayerInteractEvent event) {
	if(event.entityPlayer.getHeldItem() != null && event.entityPlayer.getHeldItem().itemID == Item.pickaxeDiamond.itemID) {
		event.entityPlayer.capabilities.allowEdit = false;
		event.entityPlayer.sendPlayerAbilities();
		event.entityPlayer.addChatMessage("You cannot use this item yet!"); //This does successfully send the message, so the message works.
	} else {
		event.entityPlayer.capabilities.allowEdit = true; //Doesn't work whether this is here or not, so not a problem with this.
		event.entityPlayer.sendPlayerAbilities();
	}
}

This is all in an event handler. I have tried setting allowEdit to false in other classes too (like a tick handler), however it still fails to work. allowFlying and disableDamage work though, so I do not understand why this doesn't...

I am also trying to find a way to set allowEdit to false so the player can't edit any blocks at all for another mod I am making, so if anyone knows how to do that I would really appreciate your help. Thanks :)

When I traced through the NetServerHandler code which handles Packet202 (created by .sendPlayerAbilities), I found this

public Packet202PlayerAbilities(PlayerCapabilities par1PlayerCapabilities)
    {
        this.setDisableDamage(par1PlayerCapabilities.disableDamage);
        this.setFlying(par1PlayerCapabilities.isFlying);
        this.setAllowFlying(par1PlayerCapabilities.allowFlying);
        this.setCreativeMode(par1PlayerCapabilities.isCreativeMode);
        this.setFlySpeed(par1PlayerCapabilities.getFlySpeed());
        this.setWalkSpeed(par1PlayerCapabilities.getWalkSpeed());
    }

i.e. PlayerCapabilities.allowEdit is ignored by Packet202.

Which suggests a couple of workarounds...

either cancel the event like Lycanus suggests,

or write your own custom packet handler which copies allowedit as well as getFlying

-TGG

That was one of my first thought (cancelling the event) before I tried to set allowEdit to false. However, setting the event to canceled did not affect anything at all. That's why I tried moving to setting allowEdit to false, as I hoped that would work. Neither or them worked, but I assume that finding a way to set allowEdit to false will be the easiest way to solve my problem.

There are other ways of handling this.  Namely, doing something like this in the item's class

@Override
public float getStrVsBlock(ItemStack par1ItemStack, Block par2Block) {
	if (par2Block != Block.oreCoal && par2Block != Block.oreIron && par2Block != Block.oreEmerald && par2Block != Block.oreGold && par2Block != Block.oreDiamond && par2Block != Block.oreNetherQuartz && par2Block != Block.oreLapis && par2Block != Block.oreRedstone && par2Block != Block.oreRedstoneGlowing)
        {
		return 0;
        }
	else {
		return 15;
	}
}

If the strength vs. the block returns 0 (or less) then no progress is ever made towards breaking it (punching with no/inappropriate tool is roughly 0.25).

The 15 could be modified by material the item is made out of, etc. etc.  This was just a quick implementation for a mod I'm making where it is not yet important what value is being returned, only that it is sufficiently large.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

There are other ways of handling this.  Namely, doing something like this in the item's class

@Override
public float getStrVsBlock(ItemStack par1ItemStack, Block par2Block) {
	if (par2Block != Block.oreCoal && par2Block != Block.oreIron && par2Block != Block.oreEmerald && par2Block != Block.oreGold && par2Block != Block.oreDiamond && par2Block != Block.oreNetherQuartz && par2Block != Block.oreLapis && par2Block != Block.oreRedstone && par2Block != Block.oreRedstoneGlowing)
        {
		return 0;
        }
	else {
		return 15;
	}
}

If the strength vs. the block returns 0 (or less) then no progress is ever made towards breaking it (punching with no/inappropriate tool is roughly 0.25).

The 15 could be modified by material the item is made out of, etc. etc.  This was just a quick implementation for a mod I'm making where it is not yet important what value is being returned, only that it is sufficiently large.

That would work for custom items, but I need to disable the breaking of blocks with the fist and vanilla items somehow as well.

That is a mite bit trickier, but doable.

Your options:

1) Reflections (tricky, as Reflections is not a simple thing)

2) Base class edits (I would hazard you would not like this)

3) Creating custom items and then forcing them into the items array where the vanilla items reside (not entirely kosher)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Where would you recommend I start with reflections? I haven't had any experience with reflections. (Not really that far into Java yet.)

I, myself, have only managed so far as to not completely fuck things up doing a minor thing, largely through the use of existing code, lots of Javadoc, and some blind luck.

Hi

Not so sure about the setHardness method.  It would probably work but modifying vanilla blocks doesn't sound like a very robust solution.  Apart from anything else, you would have to store the block hardnesses and return them to the original values which might be difficult to get right.

I'd suggest the custom packet method.  There are a few tutorials around and it looks like it should be pretty straightforward.  And robust.

eg

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Packet_Handling

-TGG

I wouldn't be changing the base-class of the blocks. I would get the blocks default value, store it in a variable, then call the setHardness method from one of my custom classes. If the player needs to be able to edit the blocks, I can have a command that, when used, calls a method that resets all the blocks to their default value. Simple as that.