Skin not showing up in modpacks when I use Forge

1. try using a different modpack to see if it is just the mods you are using.

2. (assuming you're using curseforge and you did step one to figure out that it is forge causing the problem) Try using a different modpack manager, or just copy and paste your mods into your mods folder in your MC installation and install forge the normal way.

3. see if the mods you are using have a fabric version and use that.

I hope this helps!

I knew I wasn't the only one with this issue!

Let me guess, you are playing a modpack for Minecraft version 1.18 or newer correct?
If so then we both have the same issue, what that issue is however... Is yet to be found for all I know.
Last response I got said that my error meant I was used a cracked launcher, which I can disprove since even other launchers have given the same result. *Currently GDlauncher*
I only noticed one common trait in the logs... The existence of "Connection Timed Out", appearing only in the Forge instances. Even just having forge installed gives this error.
To me it would seem that something in Forge's coding slows the transfer down just enough that it just gives up and refuses the token, or something.

To compare here is a log for both instances, same mods for the most part. One for Forge and One for Fabric.
Fabric: https://controlc.com/5d1cdebe

Forge: https://controlc.com/0b109358
A few players are definitely having this issue, regardless of their launcher however Forge is the one thing they all have in common...  I wonder if there is a JVM argument one could add to allow it to allow it to take more time to make the connection to the authentication servers... Since Forge does seem to have more console loading than fabric.

Member of Aerotech Networks, a Multi-Gaming server.

Also Currently porting the "Rise of the Automatons" minecraft mod

Okay if this issue is in minecraft 1.18 or newer, then you might have had the same issue I had.
Now here is the possible solution.
Long story short.. ipv6...   
Someone posted about before.
Add the following to the JVM Argument in the launcher you are using "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true".
Seems that after 1.18 Forge manages to use ipv6 by default if your PC has it enabled, but this argument can force your game's launcher to use IPv4 instead.
It squashed the problem instantly for me.

• Thanks 1

Member of Aerotech Networks, a Multi-Gaming server.

Also Currently porting the "Rise of the Automatons" minecraft mod

• 3 months later...
On 6/18/2023 at 7:40 AM, Electrobob99 said:

Thank you! I have been looking for a solution to the problem for 3 months now, without finding an answer. The problem with displaying the skin was precisely on version 1.18.2, even in a single player game and only with Forge. Moreover, everything worked correctly on another computer. I'm already tired of looking for the problem. I deleted everything I could from the programs on my PC, nothing helped. I saw your post and unchecked IPv6 in the properties of my network connection and the problem disappeared! Thank you, you saved my nerve cells! Sorry for my English.

Edited by AntonZLK
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 3:40 AM, Electrobob99 said:

Okay if this issue is in minecraft 1.18 or newer, then you might have had the same issue I had.
Now here is the possible solution.
Someone posted about before.
Add the following to the JVM Argument in the launcher you are using "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true".
Seems that after 1.18 Forge manages to use ipv6 by default if your PC has it enabled, but this argument can force your game's launcher to use IPv4 instead.
It squashed the problem instantly for me.

BRO. Thank you! This has been driving me NUTS. I've been using Curseforge for a while, and all of a sudden since 1.20.2 (I have a few basic QoL mods on such as minimap, Waila etc and my skin wasn't showing, even in singleplayer by myself! This has sorted it. Bit of a weird workaround, but this'll do.