[1.19.X] Need help with Forge documentation

Axelouuu

Hello,

I'm posting here because I need some advice.

For the past few days, I've been going through the Forge 1.19.X documentation to try and create a mod, but I have to admit that I often feel lost with it. I know how to code in Java, although I'm not excellent in this field, and I have a good understanding of algorithms. It's also my first time attempting to create a mod by coding it manually.

Whenever I try to follow the documentation, I always seem to miss bits and pieces here and there, and to find what I'm missing, I have to search through forums to get just one line that seems obvious to everyone else.

For example, I'm currently trying to create a GUI. So, I'm reading the documentation for Menus and Screens and adapting the examples to my case. It took me a good 3 hours to find the line to register because I couldn't find it in the documentation. There was something similar, but it was for Blocks or Items, not for a menu.

public static final DeferredRegister<MenuType<?>> REGISTER = DeferredRegister.create(ForgeRegistries.MENU_TYPES, MyMod.MODID);
public static final RegistryObject<MenuType<MyMenu>> MY_MENU = REGISTER.register("my_menu", () -> new MenuType<>(MyMenu::new));

By the way, in the doc, there's even a mention of "FeatureFlagSet," but it's not explained anywhere what it is, and the solution I found doesn't even use it.

Another example, I wanted to create an event when the player right-clicks with a specific item in hand, but I couldn't find anything about it in the documentation. I had to search through the source code of other mods to find something I could adapt.

So, here's my question: Is it possible to create a mod using only the Forge documentation? What am I missing? Why can't I find explanations of the different elements that make up the examples in the documentation?

I also think it might be partially my fault; I probably don't search in the best way. If someone could guide me even a little on how to read the documentation or how to search through it, that would be great!

Thanks to those who take the time to read and/or respond to me ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘ˆ

The forge documentation is there mostly to just get you started, and explain some key terms/ideas. I don't think they meant it to be a how-to or to teach people how to accomplish specific goals within their mod.

There's is a community wiki that was being used, I have no idea if it will be updated/maintained going forward, that has a little bit more/other information: https://forge.gemwire.uk/wiki/Main_Page

Also McJty goes into some detail on some common goals people have while creating mods: https://www.mcjty.eu/docs/intro

Beyond that, the best advice I have is to look at the code of other mods, and even dig through the minecraft code itself for ideas of what's available for overrides/properties/etc., and tinker with stuff constantly :)

• Like 1