forge downloading as a .zip file, jarfix not working

NadiAidaN

for some reason whenever i download forge, it downloads as "forge-1.20.1-47.1.44-installer.jar.zip" instead of just .jar. I've tried renaming it to remove the .zip, but that corrupts it. I've tried using jar fix and manually opening it with java, but neither of those work. i don't think its an problem with just my computer, as the actual install is as a .zip, rather than .jar. if someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it, as I could not find a solution to this issue.

Edited by NadiAidaN

You have a broken browser (plugin) or application that is renaming .jar to .zip files.

e.g. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1778322 and its related bugs.

jarfix does not change/fix the jar files, it modifies your windows configuration to correct which application should open them

If you have a copy of the jdk: https://adoptium.net rather than just the runtime environment

you can run the following command on the command line to see what the file contains:

jar -tf forge-1.20.1-47.1.44-installer.jar.zip

If you get an error running that command, then the problem is not just the file extension, the file itself is corrupted.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

No idea.

You don't say what software you are using for the download.

Whatever it is, you should ask them.

Since you are using windows, if you open powershell you can run the following command to download the file as "installer.jar":

But you will likely still get the same problem when you want to download mods? Until you fix it.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

okay, so i eventually got it working in some stupid roundabout way, by emailing it to myself, but the core issue on my computer is the same. for the downloads, i tired multiple different browsers, and all results are the same, so it's not my browser. would it be windows antivirus or something dumb like that? if not, thanks for the help anyway.

I am having the same issue. If you use the direct link it downloads as a jar, but the AdFocus link downloads as a zip that looks very suspicious and is flagged by Windows Defender. Interestingly the links on the forums (both AdFocus and Direct) work fine. If you try downloading from here, see if you get the same behaviour.

Just adding to this that MalwareBytes detected it as a BitCoin miner, and also that I can no longer access the MalwareBytes website after having opened the Forge Installer that was flagged. I opened it because I trusted Forge and have issues with my own software being flagged by Defender recently, wont make either of those 2 mistakes again after reinstalling windows.