forge crashes only with version 1.20 or 1.20.1

spidy_28

Hello, I had installed Forge (1.20.1) and when I click play in the Minecraft launcher, it tries to start it but it crashes.

I tried 1.20 and had the same problem, but when I go to 1.19 or earlier it works just fine. I reinstalled the game but that doesn't work either. 

I saw somewhere that you have to upgrade or downgrade your drivers. but because I also use my laptop for school things, I don't want to touch the drivers unless I really have to.

Technical details:

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 14ARH7 laptop with Windows 11. AMD Ryzen 5 6600HS creator edition with AMD Radeon graphics

https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20230910MIcUYdfs   I hope this is good. I couldn't get pastebin to work.

14 hours ago, Paint_Ninja said:

Unfortunately the issue is indeed to do with drivers. Make a system restore point first just in case you need to revert back to it, then follow the instructions in the FAQ for updating the drivers.

Just a quick question, which driver are we talking about? CPU or GPU. Should I then switch it to a newer driver or to an older driver? and are there plans to fix the problem in an update?

Edited by spidy_28

GPU, but you should do both anyway as MC is also CPU-heavy.

The fix is to update it. You shouldn't downgrade as you're already on a driver version that's over a year old for this issue to occur and has long been fixed. Downgrading further will cause stability issues and significant performance drops.

There are no plans to workaround the issue in Forge as people are encouraged to upgrade away from a known old buggy driver.

Make a system restore point just in case, then follow the guide in the FAQ.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paint_Ninja said:

GPU, but you should do both anyway as MC is also CPU-heavy.

The fix is to update it. You shouldn't downgrade as you're already on a driver version that's over a year old for this issue to occur and has long been fixed. Downgrading further will cause stability issues and significant performance drops.

There are no plans to workaround the issue in Forge as people are encouraged to upgrade away from a known old buggy driver.

Make a system restore point just in case, then follow the guide in the FAQ.

I have 31.0.12044.54000 drivers and on the Lenovo website 31.0.12014.60.01(SV2)_30.0.14064.16001(SV1) is recommended. Is it better than the one I have now?

Edited by spidy_28