Cannot get a mod-ed server on Linux across the finish line despite a lot of trying. Can someone check my work?

I have been struggling for a couple days but have not been successful in getting a mod-ed game running from a linux box.  After an untold number of videos, articles, and poking around its time to just ask I guess!

Here is where I am:

Ubuntu Server 22.04.3

Java:

openjdk version "17.0.9" 2023-10-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 17.0.9+9-Ubuntu-122.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.9+9-Ubuntu-122.04, mixed mode, sharing)

I have tried both All the Mods 9 versions 9-0.2.46 and 9-0.2.47 as well as Better Minecraft [FORGE] 1.20.1 v26.  I tried these individually. 

I want to play All the Mods 9 but after several attempts I grabbed Better MC to see if ATM9 was my issue.

Those mod packs require 1.20.1.  I am using forge-1.20.1-47.2.20-installer.jar for the install.

To set it all up, here is what I am doing:

Creating a folder under /opt

sudo java -jar forge-1.20.1-47.2.20-installer.jar --installServer

sudo chmod +x run.sh

Edit user_jvm_args.txt    To setup server memory. I am giving it 6Gig
Edit run.sh   Adding nogui 

Running sudo ./run.sh  to start the server to the point of generating initial files. 

Editing the eula.txt and set to true

Drop mod file in mods folder.  I have tried this, both server and client, as the zip (as downloaded), unzipped in a sub folder, and unzipped in the mods folder itself.  

./run.sh to start the server
 This all goes as expected.  At initial world generation I get some errors since server.properties does not exist. 

I see nothing in the resulting messages to tell me any mod was loaded.  I do get some warnings I will note them below.

On the client side, a windows 10 box, I ran forge-1.20.1-47.2.20-installer.jar and install the client.  

I copy the mod zip file to the mod folder.  As noted above, I have also unzipped the packs to see if that made a difference. 

Fire up the MC launcher, select my forge install.  I notice that when I click the mods button I see Minecraft 1.20.1 and Forge 47.2.20.  I would have expected to see either All the Mods 9 (or its included mods listed separately) or Better MC  (or its included mods listed separately). Of course, depending on which I was trying at the moment.

The server starts and I can connect to the game... but every time its just a vanilla world.  

If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it.  I think I have my bases covered but I am obviously missing something.  

These are the warning I get when I start the server 
Some related to ne.mi.fm.lo.mo.ModFileParser/LOADING and missing mods.toml

fmlcore-1.20.1-47.2.20.jar is missing
javafmllanguage-1.20.1-47.2.20.jar
lowcodelanguage-1.20.1-47.2.20.jar 
mclanguage-1.20.1-47.2.20.jar

2 about /.mcassetsroot using an unexpected schema.   

Don't run your server using sudo, it's a huge security hole. Add a separate user (i.e. minecraft), and use chown to change the ownership of the folder/files to your new user.

What does your run.sh look like?

Post your whole debug.log on a paste site, and link to it here, summarizing errors is typically not helpful. :)

I appreciate the suggestion about sudo but I will not be running it long term that way.  At the moment its the "big hammer" so I do not have to worry about local security as I figure everything out.  When its all said and done I plan reinstall the server and start fresh including an account for the MC server. 

I started a clean debug log, put ATM9 back in my mods folder and started the server so the log had a single run.  Hopefully that makes it cleaner to look at.

https://pastebin.com/MtupsJpd

Here is my run.sh. 

# Forge requires a configured set of both JVM and program arguments.
# Add custom JVM arguments to the user_jvm_args.txt
# Add custom program arguments {such as nogui} to this file in the next line before the "$@" or
#  pass them to this script directly
java @user_jvm_args.txt @libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.20.1-47.2.20/unix_args.txt nogui "$@"

On 2/16/2024 at 6:15 PM, BoostedFire said:

I copy the mod zip file to the mod folder.

I just noticed this. Is this a .zip file for a modpack from curseforge, or something like that? I don't believe you can just use those in the mods directory.

You definitely have a modded server starting, it just doesn't appear to have any mods loading. What are the contents of your mods directory, and contents of any zip files in there?

Yes, its the zip as downloaded from CurseForge.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/all-the-mods-9/files/5111908

or

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/better-mc-forge-bmc4

I have tried dropping the zips, as downloaded (just one at a time, not both together), into the mods folder.  I have also tried extracting them right into the mods folder and tried creating a directory in the mods folder and extracting them there. 

The guides and videos I have seen as I have tried to get this running all pretty much say drop the zip in the folder.   It did not make much sense to me to do it that way but this process is new to me so I gave it a shot. 

Yeah, unfortunately the guides are either wrong or being misunderstood. Individual mod files (usually .jar file extension) can be dropped into the mods folder. Those modpacks from curseforge need some sort of launcher to read the modpack .zip file, and actually install the mods/configurations for you. This is also usually just for the client as well, and you usually download a separate package (containing everyting from forge up) for the server. I just went and looked, and it's not very intuitive how to get to the server files. Click the Files link on the modpack page, then click the modpack version you're using in the list, then click Additional Files link at the bottom, and you should see a link to the server package.

Curseforge/Overwolf launcher is garbage, I would suggest some other 3rd party launcher for your client such as ATLauncher or something. Unless you like video ads in your Minecraft launcher. :D

Yeah, unfortunately the guides are either wrong or being misunderstood.

I just went and looked, and it's not very intuitive how to get to the server files.

I think that sums it up!  Personally, I am not new to IT/Computers.  Granted I have not used Linux with any regularity since the late 90's when I was getting Slackware on CD at computer shows.  

I kept asking myself why is this so difficult!!  As to Curseforge/Overwolf, on the surface looked like more than I wanted personally.  I just wanted the one game, Minecraft, not a framework for a host of games.  

When I get some time, hopefully this evening, I will make a another go at it with your suggestions. 

Thank you so much!

Had some time to take another run at this... and its running!!  Well as best as it can.  The start script spits out a lot of red.  Not had a chance to look deeper to see how important that all is.

I just poked around a bit in game, gave myself some items so I could play a bit. So, I am not sure if some of the mods are not working. 

My client is not happy, it will crash if I drop into creative or if there are a lot of mobs.  Its just a 16G box so I am not all that surprised.  It's sitting at about 4.5G in use before I start a game then it caps it out.  That is with Java assigned 6 in ATLauncher.  

CPU and the Graphics card seem happy, I have some RAM coming. 

Either way, I worked out as much as I wanted to given what I have.  I am going to make some adjustments, poke at it a bit more, and push toward a more permanent server setup.

Thanks again for all the help!!