Forge Server Install Crashing "Error occured during init. of Boot Layer"

So... I keep getting an error whenever I start certain forge server packs, but NOT others, and I'm wholly unsure of what the defining differences are between them, or what's of note. On several occasions with multiple, very different modpacks from curseforge, I sometimes get this error and I have no clue what's causing it. Pastebin is below:

https://pastebin.com/MXrfHK9z

Spoiler

(Short hand error message here:
"Error occurred during initialization of boot layer

java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Illegal char <:> at index 70: libraries/cpw/mods/bootstraplauncher/1.1.2/bootstraplauncher-1.1.2.jar:libraries/cpw/mods/securejarhandler/2.1.10/securejarhandler-2.1.10.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-commons/9.5/asm-commons-9.5.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-util/9.5/asm-util-9.5.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-analysis/9.5/asm-analysis-9.5.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-tree/9.5/asm-tree-9.5.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm/9.5/asm-9.5.jar:libraries/net/minecraftforge/JarJarFileSystems/0.3.19/JarJarFileSystems-0.3.19.jar")

Steps to create error: Run Start.sh > Agree to EULA > Bam, doesn't go any further. Try and run it again? Same error immediately afterwards. Try and restart the pack from zipped OG contents? Same error. Had this happen on two packs so far.

I can answer any and all questions you guys have. I've tried following the troubleshooting in the FAQ to fix this but no dice there, has someone either experienced this before, or can someone give me the simple solution staring me in the face and call me a newb I don't know what's HAPPENING-

Edited by XMetronomeX

Also important to note: Forge versions/modpacks themselves work just fine, load and don't crash, play without much issues. Quite literally the only issue is starting the server, so it's on that end. Any ideas?

Posted (edited)

Bumping this

Don't mean to rush anyone, but like... anyone know anything about this? Any direction I could go down, any methods to try? I'm racking my brain here and I'm supposed to be hosting for a group of friends

Edited by XMetronomeX

17 hours ago, TileEntity said:

Make sure you are using the correct Java version

Minecraft 1.18 and newer require Java 17 to work

If you are using 1.16 or older, use Java 8

Java is at 21, even installing the older versions and manually updating the configs to use the older ones didn't do anything, same error as before. Ty for trying tho!

9 hours ago, TileEntity said:

Use Java 17 - in the start bat file, replace the word java with the path to the Java 17 installation and put the path into quotation marks

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17.0.9\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4G -Xms2048M -jar forgeserver.jar 
pause 

Same error. Here's the full log, start to finish:

Spoiler

Start script generated by ServerPackCreator 5.1.11.
To change the launch settings of this server, such as JVM args / flags, Minecraft version, modloader version etc., edit the variables.txt-file.

Running Forge checks and setup...
Generating user_jvm_args.txt from variables...
Edit JAVA_ARGS in your variables.txt. Do not edit user_jvm_args.txt directly!
Manually made changes to user_jvm_args.txt will be lost in the nether!
libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.20.1-47.2.17/forge-1.20.1-47.2.17-server.jar present.

libraries/net/minecraft/server/1.20.1/server-1.20.1.jar present.

Starting server...
Minecraft version: 1.20.1
Modloader:         Forge
Modloader version: 47.2.17

Java args:         -Xms4G -Xmx16G -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=200 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:G1NewSizePercent=30 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=40 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=8M -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:G1HeapWastePercent=5 -XX:G1MixedGCCountTarget=4 -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=15 -XX:G1MixedGCLiveThresholdPercent=90 -XX:G1RSetUpdatingPauseTimePercent=5 -XX:SurvivorRatio=32 -XX:+PerfDisableSharedMem -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=1 -Dusing.aikars.flags=https://mcflags.emc.gs -Daikars.new.flags=true
Java path:         C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17\bin\javaw.exe
Run Command:       C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17\bin\javaw.exe -Dlog4j2.formatMsgNoLookups=true @user_jvm_args.txt @libraries/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.20.1-47.2.17/unix_args.txt nogui
Java version:
java version "17.0.8" 2023-07-18 LTS
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 17.0.8+9-LTS-211)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.8+9-LTS-211, mixed mode, sharing)

Error occurred during initialization of boot layer
java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Illegal char <:> at index 70: libraries/cpw/mods/bootstraplauncher/1.1.2/bootstraplauncher-1.1.2.jar:libraries/cpw/mods/securejarhandler/2.1.10/securejarhandler-2.1.10.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-commons/9.5/asm-commons-9.5.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-util/9.5/asm-util-9.5.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-analysis/9.5/asm-analysis-9.5.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm-tree/9.5/asm-tree-9.5.jar:libraries/org/ow2/asm/asm/9.5/asm-9.5.jar:libraries/net/minecraftforge/JarJarFileSystems/0.3.19/JarJarFileSystems-0.3.19.jar

Exiting...
Press any key to continue

see thats another thing- I'm getting these mod packs prepacked, all I would ever need to do is start it and it'd download everything

you're saying to rebuild the server using the regular forge build, then import mods and such afterwards? if thats what i need to do i have no issue doing so, just didnt know if that would do anything different-

On 4/4/2024 at 11:54 AM, TileEntity said:

Maybe the forge installation is broken

Create a new server folder and install Forge into it

Run the vanilla forge server once via own start script

If this works, copy the modpack content into the new server folder

Update: This actually worked, just had to twiddle with some config files to make it actually run. It's not a solution to the original problem, but it works as a workaround, tysm TileEntity!

• Like 1