Error: You need to run 1.64 manually at least once

Drakemac2

Hi, I'm new to modding Minecraft (not new to modding itself, I run modded KSP which seems a heck of a lot simpler than this) and all the mods I want to use need forge (or so they say). So I go to mincraftforge.net, click on the recommended version (1.6.4) installer, skip add, save to desktop, run app from desktop, click install client, and an error message pops up saying "You need to run 1.6.4 manually at least once". Help, I tried opening it directly from the download and got the same result. What am I doing wrong? Is it that I run Windows 8 (it was forced upon me unfortunately)? It may seem like a noob question but this the first Minecraft mod I've tried to install alone. Thanks in advance.

open Minecraft and on the screen that you click "play" by the profile button on the bottom left, it says "edit profile". click on that and it brings up a tab. look down and you will see "use version" then click on the bar and it will bring up a list of versions and click on which one you want

Thank you SwagyAsian for answering the problem I have been having, since it is not immediatly obvious that you can switch versions from within the program, especially to us people who have been playing for only a few days. Most programs ask you to download different versions, rather than switching versions from an ingame menu, so it is hardly obvious.

And thank you LexManos for showing that experience does not always count for politeness, or the ability to be helpful.

User was banned for this comment. ~Lex