[1.6.4]I have a GL11 scaling issue, or math problem you decide...

skullywag

hey all,

Im trying to scale a bunch of randomly heighted entities down to fit inside a block. Now with a float im passing to GL11.glScalef(f1, f1, f1); I end up with some entities sticking out of the block. The float in this example is 0.4375F. So an entity with height of 1.8 fits nicely, one with height of 4 does not.

Does GL11 have a set specific size option? so I can make all entities the same size and therefore fit in the block (im not the best with GL tbh)

Or can this be done with some math, ive had a go but cant quite nail the equation.

Or is their a way to set the height of an entity when I get it? so I can make em all the same height before scaling.

edit - my brain is telling me to work out the percentage difference between the entity height given and the preffered height, but then i cant think of the next step.

Hi

If you ask the entity for its size, you can scale it down (or up) just enough to make it fit in the block.

for example

float entityHeight = entityToRender.height;
float entityScaleFactor = Math.abs(entityHeight) < 0.1f ? 1 / entityHeight : 1.0;  // avoid problems if height == 0.0
GL11.glScalef(entityScaleFactor, entityScaleFactor, entityScaleFactor);
renderMyEntity

If you are worried about wide entities sticking out the side, then ask for the width too, calculate the scaling factor for that, and use the smallest scale factor of the two.

-TGG

Hi

casting between float and double is ok for this.  That 1 and 1.0 should be 1.0f, my bad.

And actually the line I told you is wrong... got the test around the wrong way... brainfade, sorry!

float entityScaleFactor = Math.abs(entityHeight) >= 0.1f ? 1.0f / entityHeight : 1.0f;  // avoid problems if height == 0.0

-TGG

Thanks for your help (again) TGG

So ive tweaked it to this:

float entityScaleFactor = Math.abs(entityHeight) >= 0.1f ? 1.2f / entityHeight : 1.0f;  // avoid problems if height == 0.0
GL11.glScalef(entityScaleFactor, entityScaleFactor, entityScaleFactor);
float f1 = entityScaleFactor;
GL11.glScalef(f1, f1, f1);

as 1.2 looked a little closer to what I want with a height passed of 1.8, a height of 2.9 looks small and 4 is tiny, any height under the 1.2 obviously grows in size and looks hilarious!

Is there anyway I can make them more uniform, what im after is if the block is 1.0F high all entities will get a rendered height of say 0.8F as it stands now the taller the mob the smaller it is rendered.

God dammit.....i should of spotted that.

Im gonna use the same excuse as last night....its almost 3am and I need sleep.

This better not become a thing...you'll give me a complex.

Either way when I get this mod done youre going in the credits, youve bailed me out twice now...might even add a "Grey Ghost" mob as tribute to your awesomeness.

Thanks again...and goodnight!

*wanders off to bed mumbling AGAIN about how daft he is*

Either way when I get this mod done youre going in the credits, youve bailed me out twice now...might even add a "Grey Ghost" mob as tribute to your awesomeness.

rofl a Grey Ghost mob, that would be awesome :-P.  Can I have special powers, like when I kill the player, they become (spawn) a Grey Ghost too? :-)