Player Rendering Oddity

Reika

I am trying to render additional pieces onto the player model using the RenderPlayerEvent.Pre event. I basically watch the event and fire the .render() for a custom ModelRenderer class.

The render is only supposed to run on me (so only my player entity has a special model).

It seemed to work beautifully, until I joined a server and others around me noticed that when I was in their field of view, they too had the special model parts...but rotated to fit the orientation of my player. Needless to say, I would like to fix this, as would everyone else with random floating body parts.

Here is the code:

@ForgeSubscribe
public void addReikaModel(RenderPlayerEvent.Pre evt) {
	RenderPlayer render = evt.renderer;
	EntityPlayer ep = evt.entityPlayer;
	float tick = evt.partialRenderTick;
	if (ep != null) {
		if ("Reika_Kalseki".equals(ep.getEntityName())) {
			//render.setRenderPassModel(modelReika);
			ReikaTextureHelper.bindFinalTexture(DragonAPICore.class, "/Reika/DragonAPI/Resources/reika_tex.png");
			GL11.glScaled(1, -1, 1);
			GL11.glFrontFace(GL11.GL_CW);
			modelReika.renderBodyParts(ep, tick);
			GL11.glFrontFace(GL11.GL_CCW);
			GL11.glScaled(1, -1, 1);
		}
	}
}

The very weird part is that I am using variable "ep" (the render player instance) to check the name of the player we should be rendering "on", yet somehow the rendering also happens for other players. However, the argument is still actually my player, because the rotation is that of my player entity.

Hi

My guess is:

(1) RenderPlayerEvent is called for all players being rendered on a client, not just the user. (that's just a guess, I haven't checked it)

(2) Your rendering routine uses the coordinates of the user for some reason, instead of the (non-user)player being rendered.

Adding System.out.println to your addReikaModel should show this pretty quickly if it's really the reason.

-TGG

Hi

My guess is:

(1) RenderPlayerEvent is called for all players being rendered on a client, not just the user. (that's just a guess, I haven't checked it)

(2) Your rendering routine uses the coordinates of the user for some reason, instead of the (non-user)player being rendered.

Adding System.out.println to your addReikaModel should show this pretty quickly if it's really the reason.

-TGG

That was one of the first things I tried. The result was as expected:

EntityClientPlayerMP['Reika_Kalseki'/1564, l='MpServer', x=-1148.29, y=8.16, z=-427.23] of class net.minecraft.client.entity.EntityClientPlayerMP

Hi

So I guess that's what prints out on your client, which seems to work as expected.

What prints out on the clients of other users looking at you?

@ForgeSubscribe
// add System.out.println here
//...

-TGG

Hi

So I guess that's what prints out on your client, which seems to work as expected.

What prints out on the clients of other users looking at you?

@ForgeSubscribe
//...

-TGG

No idea, because they are using modpack-release versions of the mod and thus cannot have system prints.

Hi

In that case, I would suggest either you get someone else to run a client in a debugger, or you write to a disk file, or you change the player name from Reika to the name of one of the other players.  So you see will the weird bodypart rendering that they see when looking at you, and you can debug it.

-TGG

Hi

In that case, I would suggest either you get someone else to run a client in a debugger, or you write to a disk file, or you change the player name from Reika to the name of one of the other players.  So you see will the weird bodypart rendering that they see when looking at you, and you can debug it.

-TGG

Or, if your PC can handle it, you could just run a dedicated server, a client with "Reika_Kalseki" as username and a client with a random username in Eclipse, connect both clients to the server and see the results.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

Hi

-TGG

Or, if your PC can handle it, you could just run a dedicated server, a client with "Reika_Kalseki" as username and a client with a random username in Eclipse, connect both clients to the server and see the results.

I tried that, and Eclipse tends to crash one of the two clients after a few seconds.