Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Practice: Localization: Error Messages

ShooShoSha

Should you localize error messages? Which errors should have a localization and which errors should not have a localization?

Some thoughts:

• Errors that the user caused and don't crash anything should be localized
  • Errors that the user caused and crash something should not be localized
  • Errors that are out of the user's control, should they see the message
    • If so, it should not be localized so the developer or support can find the error within their system
    • If not, the user has an error message they may not be able to read but can look up (e.g. Google it)

I am curious what other developers do. I've seen some localize their error messages, others hard code the error message, and read some use error catalogs.

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs

Take one down, patch it around

117 little bugs in the code

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Register your own IRecipeSerializer. It is registered like any other registry entry. However note that you should have as much as possible in the JSON. Don't just have a placeholder JSON file and then hardcode all the logic in code. That defeats the point of datapacks. You'll have to have your own repair recipe then (see above for how to make your own serializer) and override getRemainingItems. If the knife is your item, override hasContainerItem and getContainerItem in your Item class. If the knife is not your item, refer to the section about repairing. Use a GlobalLootModifier.
    • So, im kinda new to modding. Trying to make relatively complicated mod(as I see now, it breaks the api a little bit...), and faced into some problems, especially with crafting. I think I should tell a little bit about my mod, you actually can skip this part, but if you don't get something, i strongly suggest to read this part. The goal i'm chasing is to implement similar food mechanics to TFC classic(1.7.10) mechanics. In a nutshell, it's food with durrability, and when you eat, you consume as much as you need(like if you have a steak and 1 hunger, if you eat it, stake's potential wastes, in case of my mod, it shouldn't). That's it, that's already done(with little bugs thou, but done). Now I have to do crafting somehow, using that items and modify durability while crafting. And it doesn't seems to be easy.     And.. question 1 will be: is it possible to hardcode crafts in 1.16.5? I know.. it's kinda not beautifull, but I really hate the json system. I've made as much crafts as possible by using it, but now, when I need to implement some logic, it's such a headache.   2. This question is about repearing. I mean, placing two damaged items in recipe grid. If you add 2 8/10 items, you'll get just one 10/10 item, and nothing more. I'd like 6/10 item to apear in grid after crafting. 3. Also there should be a recipe for extracting seeds with knife(i don't like to loose knife and whole peace of crop after craft). 4. And the last one. Well, I should change drop of crops if it's broken by special tool. I know, it's possible to do it by adding harvest tools, but I can't modify vanilla crops(maybe only by reflection..). Seems like it's reasonable to use onBlockBroken event, or something like that, but I keep finding deprecated code examples in google, and it doesn't work for me. Maybe there is a better solution.   About crafts.. I tried to figure out how CraftSerializers works, and i think it might be a good solution for that crafting stuff. But don't understand how to bind the serializer to regular minecraft crafting. Tried to read ShapelessRecipe class, but don't understand what happens in mathes, so cant do any assumptions how should I modify it. 
    • IP: Play.EpicLandCraft.Com Version: Cualquiera
    • What Im trying to do is to implement a "dash" mechanic on a Shift button.   @SubscribeEvent public static void onEvent(InputEvent.KeyInputEvent event){ KeyBinding runBinding = Minecraft.getInstance().gameSettings.keyBindSprint; int key = event.getKey(); int runKey = runBinding.getKey().getKeyCode(); ClientPlayerEntity player = Minecraft.getInstance().player; if (key == runKey){ //some checks, and then: float yaw = player.rotationYaw; float x = -MathHelper.sin(yaw * 0.017453292F); float z = MathHelper.cos(yaw * 0.017453292F); double groundMotion = 5, airMotion = 2; if (player.isOnGround()) player.setMotion(new Vector3d(x * groundMotion, 0, z * groundMotion)); else player.setMotion(new Vector3d(x * airMotion, 0, z * airMotion)); } } And this code works. The problem is, it causes a lot of lag when the setMotion() is called - my fps drops from 60 to 50-40 and the dash movement looks discrete. I wonder why is it so and how it can be improved...
  • Topics

• Who's Online (See full list)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.