Generating Less than one Ore vein per chunk.

turangur

I have an ore I wish to generate less than once per chunk. This is what I came up with to do that. I'm wondering if this will have the intended effect and whether this might break anything else by changing the chunkX and chunkZ 16's to larger numbers. Thanks in advance! :)

for(int i=0; i < 1; i++)
{
	int chunkX = x + random.nextInt(32);
	int chunkY = random.nextInt(40);
	int chunkZ = z + random.nextInt(32);

(new WorldGenMinable(SudokuuMain.rarite, 5)).generate(world, random, chunkX, chunkY, chunkZ);
}

Look carefully at your for 'loop'.

Also if you don't want it to generate in every chunk, just do something like if(random.nexInt(whatever) == 0) somewhere, or something like that.

BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP READ THE EAQ!

I'll help if I can. Apologies if I do something obviously stupid. :D

If you don't know basic Java yet, go and follow these tutorials.

Hi

If this loop is called once per chunk, you will get on average one ore per chunk regardless of how much randomness you add to x and z.  And if you use this in the wrong place it will probably cause unintended problems.

I think ShieldBug1's idea is the right one. Something like

1) generate a random number from 0 - 100

2) if the random number is less than your PERCENTAGE_OF_CHUNKS_WITH_ONE_ORE, eg 35, then place an ore.  Otherwise, don't place it.

On average you will then wind up with one ore in 35% of the chunks.

-TGG

Something else that's random is what type of block you're about to replace at a randomly chosen coordinate within a chunk. If your rarite ore is only allowed to replace a certain material (like rock), then it won't generate where it hits air or water or dirt etc. It could be really really rare if it were only allowed to replace iron ore (or even coal).

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.