[1.7.2] Using GUIs

hugo_the_dwarf

Now I'm not super new to this topic as I have followed a few tutorials on the workings of this, but they rely on GUIs that are connected to containers (inventories) I want my to be connected to a tileEntity (or ref to it) so I can send a packet to it after I set everything up with buttons in the GUI, and I'm just having a bit of difficulty trying to translate how to call it without a container.

I'll post the code that I currently use.

Line of code in the Main class that defines the GUIHandler:

NetworkRegistry.INSTANCE.registerGuiHandler(this, new CommonProxy());

I have no doubt this doesn't need to change at all. But posting it to show I have it. (also it's in the FMLInitializationEvent which most would call the Load or Init event of a mod)

CommonProxy code (the parts that the handle the GUI)

@Override
public Object getClientGuiElement(int ID, EntityPlayer player, World world,
		int x, int y, int z) 
{
	TileEntity entity = world.getBlockTileEntity(x, y, z);

switch(ID) {
	case 0:
	if(entity != null && entity instanceof TileEntityRepairBox) {
		return new GuiRepairBox(player.inventory, (TileEntityRepairBox) entity);
	} else if (entity != null && entity instanceof TileEntitySpawnerBlock)	{
		return new GuiSpawnerBlock(player.inventory, (TileEntitySpawnerBlock) entity);
	} else if (entity != null && entity instanceof TileEntityItemGen)	{
		return new GuiItemGen(player.inventory, (TileEntityItemGen) entity);
	} else {
		return null;
	}
	default:
		return null;
	}
}

@Override
public Object getServerGuiElement(int ID, EntityPlayer player, World world,
		int x, int y, int z) 
{
	switch(ID) {
	case 0:
	if(entity != null && entity instanceof TileEntityRepairBox) 
	{
		return new ContainerRepairBox(player.inventory, (TileEntityRepairBox) entity);
		return new ContainerSpawnerBlock(player.inventory, (TileEntitySpawnerBlock) entity);
		return new ContainerItemGen(player.inventory, (TileEntityItemGen) entity);
	} else {
	return null;
	}
	default:
	return null;
	}
}

Seems a bit weird I'm not sure who's tutorial I was looking at to make this, I know it had only one, but I tossed some more else if's in there and it worked pretty fine for those inventory entities.

Block method that calls the instance of opening the GUI

@Override
public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityPlayer player, int side, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) 
{
	if(!world.isRemote) {
		FMLNetworkHandler.openGui(player, Main.instance, 0, world, x, y, z);
	}
	return true;
}

Going out on the limb here and assuming this won't need to be changed at all, posting just to show that I have it

Gui Class

public class GuiRepairBox extends GuiContainer
{
public static final ResourceLocation texture = 
		new ResourceLocation(Main.MODID.toLowerCase(), "textures/gui/repairBox.png");

private TileEntityRepairBox box;

public GuiRepairBox(Container par1Container) 
{
	super(par1Container);
	// TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
}

public GuiRepairBox(InventoryPlayer invPlayer, TileEntityRepairBox entity) 
{
	super(new ContainerRepairBox(invPlayer, entity));

xSize = 176;
	ySize = 165;
	box = entity;
}	

@Override
protected void drawGuiContainerBackgroundLayer(float f, int i, int j) 
{
	int posX = (this.width) / 2;
	int posY = (this.height) / 2;
	int xBuffer = 29;
	GL11.glColor4f(1F, 1F, 1F, 1F);
	Minecraft.getMinecraft().renderEngine.bindTexture(texture);
	drawTexturedModalRect(guiLeft, guiTop, 0, 0, xSize, ySize);
	/*this.buttonList.clear();
	this.buttonList.add(new GuiButton(0, posX + xBuffer, posY - 60, 55, 20, "Infuse XP"));
	this.drawString(fontRenderer, "XP Stored", posX + xBuffer, posY - 38, 0x000000);
	this.drawString(fontRenderer, "0", posX + xBuffer, posY - 28, 0x000000);*/
}

Now I was a bit curious and seen it extends GuiContainer, and that extends GuiScreen. So would I be able to just make it extend GuiScreen and make my own custom one or would it doing so mean I have to incorporate a ton of methods to work correctly?

Ok so there is a container class for the GUI but that works fine, that is not the problem. What I want to know is how can I create just a simple GUI that doesn't need a container because it's for player interaction only (nothing to do with inventory items, just a player, and a tileEntity) and openning it. I hope I made some sort of sense I tend to have trouble explaining.

so this:

@Override
		int x, int y, int z) 
{
	switch(ID) {
	case 0:
	if(entity != null && entity instanceof TileEntityRepairBox) 
	{
		return new ContainerRepairBox(player.inventory, (TileEntityRepairBox) entity);
		return new ContainerSpawnerBlock(player.inventory, (TileEntitySpawnerBlock) entity);
		return new ContainerItemGen(player.inventory, (TileEntityItemGen) entity);
	} else {
	return null;
	}
	default:
	return null;
	}
}

I'd just have it go:

@Override
		int x, int y, int z) 
{
	return null;		
}

and then of course just use packets inside the GUI (like I was planning) and that will be fine? Or did I get that all wrong?

Alright I think I messed something up really bad, I can right click the block, I get a message saying it was activated, then nothing.

So I'll just post my mod here: https://github.com/Hugo-the-Dwarf/Rise-of-Tristram/tree/master/src/main/java/ee/rot

I officially have no idea what i'm doing. It worked fine in 1.6.4, I'm probably not registering or loading something right somewhere and I'm missing it completely.

Sorry I don't have a suggestion for your actual problem (I suspect CoolAlias will continue to help). but I wanted to point out something that is useful to remember -- instanceof handles the null case so you don't have to check for null && instanceof.

So in your common proxy where you have:

entity != null && entity instanceof TileEntityRepairBox

You just need:

entity instanceof TileEntityRepairBox

In other words, null is not an instance of and it also will not fail with null pointer exception.  Just a tip.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

good to know, I know the basics of java and a *few* advanced stuff, so I normally check for !null just to be safe.

I know with my code I just kinda started 1.7.2 moved some classes over from 1.6.4 updated what needed updating, and I think somewhere inbetween I forgot to set something up.

I really don't understand what you are trying to do - based on your code, it looks like you are trying to manipulate items in your Gui, in which case you definitely want to use a Container. Otherwise, if you are absolutely certain you do not need a Container, then you should simply be able to return the client Gui element:

@Override
public Object getClientGuiElement(int id, EntityPlayer player, World world, int x, int y, int z) {
TileEntity te = world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);
switch(id) {
case 0:
if (te instanceof YourTileEntity) {
  return new YourGui((YourTileEntity) te);
}
}
}

If your Gui isn't opening, check that your IDs match (likely culprit if you are using '0', '1', etc. instead of defining constants for your IDs).

Oh I don't want to use containers, because I don't need to alter items, but since my several attempts of using a gui without one I resorted back in hopes of it working.

I found out the main issue, I was working off of the old Main class, so my changes were not being applied, quickly switched over, but now I'm not sure how to open it without a container

Simply don't have a Container and return null for the server element. All you need is a GuiScreen, and if you want / need to interact with the TileEntity somehow, then you can send a packet (to the server, of course) to its coordinates with whatever action was performed.

This i'm having a bit of trouble using not sure where I set the null, I know in my block I used:

@Override
public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityPlayer player, int side, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) 
{
	if(world.isRemote) {
		System.out.println("I was activated");
		FMLNetworkHandler.openGui(player, Rot.instance, 0, world, x, y, z);
	}
	return true;
}

So it only works client side, and it returns the Gui (Yay progress) but the super needs a container if I return null I get a crash, so I need to return a new Container to calm this. And i'm just assuming but since it's client side (and everytime I open the GUI i get a log that the container was made) that this is ok? Like if they open the gui 100 times it is not going to bloat their client and cause lag?

because i'm fine with just having an empty container (don't add any slots) then I can just place the buttons and controls I want and just have the interactions through that.