[1.7.10] UpdateTick block question

Electrobob99

Ok my question is this, is it possible to make a block "turn into" another block based on chance, or do something based on chance. Like say for example I had my block surrounded by gold, and there would be a 5% chance of my block becoming glass, while there is another chance of it becoming dirt. And possibly be able to increase the chance depending on the number of the blocks around it of a certain type, i.e metadata,material, etc. If so how?

Member of Aerotech Networks, a Multi-Gaming server.

Also Currently porting the "Rise of the Automatons" minecraft mod

Do you want this to happen immediately? As in: A gold block is placed next to it and then there is a 5% chance (or whatever) it will immediately turn into X?

Or should it be that it checks ever so often and if you just leave it be long enough it will eventually change?

Definitely the second one, since it describes it perfectly, still need to know how to do the chances, so I can adjust them later on :)

Well, depending on how high the chance is, you might be able to use random ticks (setTickRandomly) possibly with another random check in there to further decrease the chance. If you need a higher chance than that, use a TileEntity.

how high would I be able to make the chance without a tile entity?

Well, depending on how high the chance is, you might be able to use random ticks (setTickRandomly) possibly with another random check in there to further decrease the chance. If you need a higher chance than that, use a TileEntity.

how high would I be able to make the chance without a tile entity?

I'm getting a little confused following this conversation.  If you want a chance of something you just have to generate random number on some frequent basis (ticks or random ticks) and check if the random number hit the chance you wanted.  You can calculate it, but you can also just try some values until you get it how you like.

If you don't know how to generate random numbers and check for chance, that is basic Java and there are plenty of examples out there.  But as simple explanation if you wanted a 3 % chance you'd generate a random number between 0 and 99 and then check if the number returned was <= 2. 

After that the question is timing.  Do you want 3% chance that it converts every tick (there are 20 ticks per second), or do you want 3% chance that it converts within a minute?  You would just adjust the chance testing based on the frequency of checking until it gets to right point.  For example, if you want 3% chance that it converts in 1 minute, you could just check every minute, or you could check for 1.5% chance every half minute, or 0.75% chance four times a minute.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Hi

I reckon you could also schedule a scheduled tick to occur at a random time after creation.

for example

int ticksTillConversion = MIN_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION + Random(MAX_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION - MIN_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION);

world.scheduleBlockUpdate(wx, wy, wz, block, ticksTillConversion);

which later calls

Block.updateTick()

-TGG

Hi

I reckon you could also schedule a scheduled tick to occur at a random time after creation.

for example

int ticksTillConversion = MIN_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION + Random(MAX_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION - MIN_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION);

world.scheduleBlockUpdate(wx, wy, wz, block, ticksTillConversion);

which later calls

Block.updateTick()

-TGG

Hmm, sounds sound, will try this after I get out of planning :P

ah just one thing -

brain fade on my part.... sorry about that...

Random random = new Random();

int ticksTillConversion = MIN_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION + random.nextInt(MAX_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION - MIN_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION);

or

int ticksTillConversion = (int)(MIN_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION + Math.random() * (MAX_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION - MIN_TICKS_TILL_CONVERSION));

-TGG

Ok, that seems reasonable. Now another question that has been bugging me a bit, is it possible to make a block with custom block bounds that is smaller than a normal block be placeable next to another of itself and "touch". Or would I just set it's Block Bounds based on state? And is it also possible to make a "smaller"block not be in the "center" of the block under it.

Example in area of single block face:

[aaa] a=air

[axa] x = customblock

[aaa]

Ok, now here's a question, is there a way to make a separate custom block that is similar block bounds of a slab, i.e minY=0.5 for one block, and minY= 0.0 and maxY = 0.5 for the other separate block, and be able to make these separate blocks connect and still be different in functionality? Like have one be similar to crops?

Example setup:

[~~] ~ = block 2

[--] - = block 1 < different class than block 2

So does anyone know if what I posted above this post is possible? I mean I can do away with it, or do something similar to flowerpots with tileentities, but I was hoping for block on block.

Ok, I think I may ditch that idea for now, but here is a really question that I've been wondering... I have seen blocks such as carrots and wheat and the other food stuffs, and I have seen their textures exceed their bounding box, how do they do that?

You are confusing rendering with functionality. You could render a 1x1x1 cube as a giant whale if you wanted, but 'physically' it would still just be a 1x1x1 cube.

Same goes for your slab and adjacent block examples - it doesn't matter what is next to your block, or what any block is rendering as, for it to function in a certain way, unless you code it that way.

It would probably be a good idea to spend some time learning more Java, and the answers to your questions will become obvious to you.

You are confusing rendering with functionality. You could render a 1x1x1 cube as a giant whale if you wanted, but 'physically' it would still just be a 1x1x1 cube.

Same goes for your slab and adjacent block examples - it doesn't matter what is next to your block, or what any block is rendering as, for it to function in a certain way, unless you code it that way.

It would probably be a good idea to spend some time learning more Java, and the answers to your questions will become obvious to you.

Ok that makes sense... And I don't really need to spend some time learning more java, especially since I have already taken java courses in college and aced them, even took a few java course tests after the fact, it just seems different when applied to minecraft is all.