[1.7.10] Spawning Entities in world couses NullPointerException

Mecblader

Hello, I am try to get an save the nbt data of an entity in a tile entity and I have the entity, but when i try to get the entity data by using this method: entity.getEntityData(), it returns empty. I know that the mobs is not null, and I tried spawning the mob then logging out and then logging in and then adding the mob to the tile entity via tile entity mechanics, and saving and loading and it still loads empty. Does anyone know why this is happening? All help is appreciated, Thank You!

Don't be afraid to ask question when modding, there are no stupid question! Unless you don't know java then all your questions are stupid!

@Override
public void readFromNBT(NBTTagCompound compound) {
        super.readFromNBT(compound);   

NBTTagList list = compound.getTagList("Items", 10);
        this.cageContents = new ItemStack[this.getSizeInventory()];

for (int i = 0; i < list.tagCount(); ++i) {
            NBTTagCompound compound1 = list.getCompoundTagAt(i);
            int j = compound1.getByte("Slot") & 255;

if (j >= 0 && j < this.cageContents.length) {
                this.cageContents[j] = ItemStack.loadItemStackFromNBT(compound1);
            }
        }

NBTTagCompound compound2 = (NBTTagCompound) compound.getTag("EntityData");

if(compound2 != null) {
        [b][u]this.targetEntity = (EntityLiving) EntityList.createEntityFromNBT(compound2, this.worldObj);[/u][/b]
        this.capturedEntity = this.targetEntity;
        }
        if(this.capturedEntity != null) {
        	this.isCageClosed = true;
        	System.out.println(this.capturedEntity);
        }
    }

@Override
    public void writeToNBT(NBTTagCompound compound) {
        super.writeToNBT(compound);
        NBTTagList list = new NBTTagList();

for (int i = 0; i < this.cageContents.length; ++i) {
            if (this.cageContents[i] != null) {
                NBTTagCompound compound1 = new NBTTagCompound();
                compound1.setByte("Slot", (byte)i);
                this.cageContents[i].writeToNBT(compound1);
                list.appendTag(compound1);
            }
        }

compound.setTag("Items", list);

if(this.capturedEntity != null) {
        NBTTagCompound compound2 = new NBTTagCompound();
        this.capturedEntity.writeToNBT(compound2);

compound.setTag("EntityData", compound2);
        }
    }

Here is my code and what you said was correct, but I am not able to to create a new instance of the entity by using the method in my code, it returns null;

Don't be afraid to ask question when modding, there are no stupid question! Unless you don't know java then all your questions are stupid!

Here is my code and what you said was correct, but I am not able to to create a new instance of the entity by using the method in my code, it returns null;

I'm sorry, I don't understand the symptoms of your problem.

Could you show the full code please, highlight the method in your code that returns null?

-TGG

I edited my last post and it was the this.targetEntity = (EntityLiving) EntityList.createEntityFromNBT(compound2, this.worldObj); line that is returning null. Is there a better way to create an entity from nbt?

It doesn't appear writeEntityToNBT adds the id to the tag, but writeToNBTOptional does.

you can try that or this (both do the same thing but writeToNBTOptional ignores dead and ridden entities)

NBTTagCompound compound2 = new NBTTagCompound();

compound2.setString("id", this.capturedEntity.getEntityString());

this.capturedEntity.writeToNBT(compound2);

I tried what you said and it worked, but when I try and spawn the entity it gives an error. It points back to:

this.worldObj.spawnEntityInWorld(this.capturedEntity);

Error

java.lang.NullPointerException

at mod.xtronius.htsm.tileEntity.TileEntityCage.readFromNBT(TileEntityCage.java:161) ~[TileEntityCage.class:?]

at net.minecraft.tileentity.TileEntity.createAndLoadEntity(TileEntity.java:139) [TileEntity.class:?]

at net.minecraft.world.chunk.storage.AnvilChunkLoader.loadEntities(AnvilChunkLoader.java:525) [AnvilChunkLoader.class:?]

at net.minecraftforge.common.chunkio.ChunkIOProvider.callStage2(ChunkIOProvider.java:41) [ChunkIOProvider.class:?]

at net.minecraftforge.common.chunkio.ChunkIOProvider.callStage2(ChunkIOProvider.java:12) [ChunkIOProvider.class:?]

at net.minecraftforge.common.util.AsynchronousExecutor.skipQueue(AsynchronousExecutor.java:344) [AsynchronousExecutor.class:?]

at net.minecraftforge.common.util.AsynchronousExecutor.getSkipQueue(AsynchronousExecutor.java:302) [AsynchronousExecutor.class:?]

at net.minecraftforge.common.chunkio.ChunkIOExecutor.syncChunkLoad(ChunkIOExecutor.java:12) [ChunkIOExecutor.class:?]

at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.loadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:146) [ChunkProviderServer.class:?]

at net.minecraft.world.gen.ChunkProviderServer.loadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:121) [ChunkProviderServer.class:?]

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.initialWorldChunkLoad(MinecraftServer.java:315) [MinecraftServer.class:?]

at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.loadAllWorlds(IntegratedServer.java:79) [integratedServer.class:?]

at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.startServer(IntegratedServer.java:96) [integratedServer.class:?]

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:455) [MinecraftServer.class:?]

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:762) [MinecraftServer$2.class:?]

at mod.xtronius.htsm.tileEntity.TileEntityCage.readFromNBT(TileEntityCage.java:161) ~[TileEntityCage.class:?]

..Could you post the entirety of TileEntityCage.java and highlight line 161? This would be helpful in solving your problem. :)

I'll need help, and I'll give help. Just ask, you know I will!