Issues with forge patch environment.

fabricator77

Sorry LexManos or whoever built these scripts, but I just can't figure out how to get it to work as it should. But after 4 days of fiddling around and poking it with a stick, its still driving me crazy.

First problem, complete lack of documention (that I can find online) on what build/release/setup actually do.

I have MCP 7.2 and Forge from this link as the zip file version.

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge

Extract MCP, put forge folder within that, add minecraft bin folder to the jars folder.

I understand what update_patches does, and that part works AFAIK but I just cannot get any of the others to put actual source code anywhere. The original code goes in src_base and the stuff I've modified goes into src_work, I just cannot get it to decompile minecraft itself rather than just forge. I tried the install script outside its subfolder but it throws errors as well, which is well wierd, never had this problem with earlier releases.

I'm sure there is a simple way to set this all up, but after 2 days I still can't get it to behave. Anyone able to provide a simple install this here, run this to the point where I can actually use update_patches ? I've dealt with all the other stuff like setting up GIT etc.

If not I'll just pull update_patches apart and write my own version. The whole thing seems overengineered for a simple loop and a diff command (and why not just use src and mod_src ?), and besides I don't like python that much.

What part of:

Fork

Pull

Setup

Edit

Update_patches

Commit

Push

PR

Don't you get?

Also dont use mcp/eclispe, use forge/eclipse, it has projects setup already.

The fact that you said it was 'overengineered' just shows that you haven't take the time to actually read what it does. Its all rather simple, but not as simple as a 'simple look and a diff command'.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

What part of:

Fork

Pull

Setup

Edit

Update_patches

Commit

Push

PR

Don't you get?

Hmm the part where its possible to find that information. It should be in the wiki or some text file in the project itself, not in some random thread involving a minor bug fix.

Also dont use mcp/eclispe, use forge/eclipse, it has projects setup already.

The fact that you said it was 'overengineered' just shows that you haven't take the time to actually read what it does. Its all rather simple, but not as simple as a 'simple look and a diff command'.

Read what, the python scripting ? Which like MCP contains no real code comments I might add. Code and function are not always one and the same.

Thing is none of the minecraft base classes I'm patching exist in Forge yet, so its simply a straight patch between vanilla and modified files. So all I need is to have it loop though some directory pairs, find the differences and produce the .patch files.

ps: I'm not using eclipse anyway, I've not needed any of its features so far.

Ya, if you cant be bothered to look into finding the answers yourself or using the simple systems that are laid in place so that the patches you produce follow the format that is needed by the rest of Forge/Users, I don't want your patch submissions.

Feel free to make a feature request, but if you submit things that do not follow the standard and fuck shit up, they will be rejected outright.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon