Can I use Older Minecraft and Forge?

MCDMPE

I am trying to start an academic software simulation project using Minecraft world as a platform. I thought Modding should be within my capability with Forge, forum and previous project using Java and eclipse.

I downloaded the latest ie v1.8and then realised that Forge may take some time to be upgraded to this version. I imagine older version may actually be better because of higher software stability.

I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to download older clients and server?

2. Will finding compatible version of supporting tools be an issue?

3. WillI likely to suffer (too much?) From lack of support by the Forum?

Any help will be appreciated.

Yes, but it's recommended that you use 1.7.10 currently.

While you can still use 1.6.4, there's some extra run-around you'll have to do, as file hosting has moved and the old Forge packages still look at old URLs (and no, no one is going to go back and fix 900+ zip files).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Will you be able to point me where I can download the older minecraft client and server because I only found the latest version in minecraft.net.

I assume you're asking about the vanilla client, since the Forge install downloads are at the top of the page. You can find any version of (vanilla) Minecraft through the launcher.

Edit Profile -> Use Version -> [select Version]

For clients: once Forge is installed, just select the "Forge" profile. For servers: The script for installing the server jar will download everything you need to the folder you indicate.

If it's an academic project and you don't need to add major gameplay elements like dimensions, 1.8 is fine.

I'd still recommend 1.7.10, simply for Ease of Modding.  1.8 doesn't have Forge yet, just FML.

Unless you need those 1.8 features.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes I am looking for the older vanilla client and server. 1.7 is fine as long as I can use forge, I guess.

I have downloaded forge 1.7.10. When I ran it, it asked me to at least run Minecraft 1.7.10 once but I only have v1.8.

I must have missed something that is obvious to you all.

I am also not sure what is the launcher. The minecraft executable is all in one single file.

Thanks folks.  Your answer has been helpful because they showed that what I was trying to do is doable and that kept me going.

I realised where the Edit Profile is and found that the windows that appeared before the game window is the launcher.  Installing src now.  All good so far. Thanks.