Forge will not install the Forge Profile

RainDonovan

Hello, I am new to Minecraft and therefore to the Forge. I followed the installation instructions, downloaded the latest version of the Forge Installer (not universal or anything, just the second link marked as (Installer)), and opened the installer.

It gave me the proper window that every install video and tutorial that I've seen shows should open, and after making sure "Install Client" was selected, I hit "Okay".

It IMMEDIATELY tells me that I need to run 1.8.1 at least once before it can install. I play this game on it's latest version on a regular basis, so I don't think it's a problem with how often I run the program. It has 1.8.1 as the latest - so it is updated properly.

Just in case I downloaded the installers for 1.8, 1.7.10, and 1.7.2 - all with the same error.

I haven't seen any support offered on any Forge discussion sites so far for this specific problem and I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Let me know if you need more information.

Considering forge isnt out for 1.8.1, it's probably telling you to run 1.8. Which Is DIFFERENT then 1.8.1

Please read the message carefully and follow its instructions.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

*correction to the above:

I have not tried installing the 1.8.1 version of Forge as there is not one to install. I am tired and derped while typing, which I'm sure has never happened to anyone on this forum before in its history.

As per its instructions, the error message was not clear that I needed to go into "Edit Profile" followed by selecting the specific version instead of letting it use the latest in the drop down menu. You were not either. The only reason I thought to do that was due to my frustration at the non-answer provided and previous experience with issues of the sort in other programs.

To avoid long winded thread discussions with future new users who may not know what you mean by "Please read the message carefully and follow its instructions." You may want to just go the extra mile and break it down in a few short sentences.

That being said, I really do appreciate that you at least took the time to respond to my post, correct my typo, and offer the slightest amount of advice possible so that it encouraged me to think for myself and puzzle it out without the aide of the so called "support" offered here.  I hope they at least keep my comment for anyone needing advice in the future.