Making a client side-only GUI

Asweez

I have a gui and I have an item that I want to open it. The gui doesn't have any slots so it doesn't need containers or anything. When the player closes the GUI, I have a packet system set up to spawn an entity. I can't really figure out how to make it opened on the client because right now its crashing whenever I open it on the server.

Any ideas as to how to make a client-side only gui?

Creator of the MyFit, MagiCraft, Tesseract gun, and Papa's Wingeria mod.

So I did some testing for that method and the server won't even run when I put that in the onItemRightClick method of my item. Here's the report:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/gui/GuiScreen
at com.apmods.magicraft.item.ItemManager.init(ItemManager.java:10) ~[itemManager.class:?]
at com.apmods.magicraft.main.MagiCraft.init(MagiCraft.java:31) ~[MagiCraft.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLModContainer.handleModStateEvent(FMLModContainer.java:513) ~[FMLModContainer.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventSubscriber.handleEvent(EventSubscriber.java:74) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventSubscriber.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventSubscriber.java:47) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:322) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:304) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:275) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.sendEventToModContainer(LoadController.java:208) ~[LoadController.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:187) ~[LoadController.class:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventSubscriber.handleEvent(EventSubscriber.java:74) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventSubscriber.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventSubscriber.java:47) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:322) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:304) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:275) ~[guava-17.0.jar:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:118) [LoadController.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:691) [Loader.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.server.FMLServerHandler.finishServerLoading(FMLServerHandler.java:97) [FMLServerHandler.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onServerStarted(FMLCommonHandler.java:319) [FMLCommonHandler.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.startServer(DedicatedServer.java:213) [DedicatedServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:445) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:752) [MinecraftServer$2.class:?]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.client.gui.GuiScreen
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:191) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358) ~[?:1.7.0_71]
... 34 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Attempted to load class net/minecraft/client/gui/GuiScreen for invalid side SERVER
at cpw.mods.fml.common.asm.transformers.SideTransformer.transform(SideTransformer.java:50) ~[forgeSrc-1.7.10-10.13.2.1230.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.runTransformers(LaunchClassLoader.java:279) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:176) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
... 34 more
[18:14:23] [server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception
cpw.mods.fml.common.LoaderException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/gui/GuiScreen
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.transition(LoadController.java:162) ~[LoadController.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:692) ~[Loader.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.server.FMLServerHandler.finishServerLoading(FMLServerHandler.java:97) ~[FMLServerHandler.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onServerStarted(FMLCommonHandler.java:319) ~[FMLCommonHandler.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.startServer(DedicatedServer.java:213) ~[DedicatedServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:445) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:752) [MinecraftServer$2.class:?]
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/gui/GuiScreen
at com.apmods.magicraft.item.ItemManager.init(ItemManager.java:10) ~[itemManager.class:?]
at com.apmods.magicraft.main.MagiCraft.init(MagiCraft.java:31) ~[MagiCraft.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLModContainer.handleModStateEvent(FMLModContainer.java:513) ~[FMLModContainer.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.sendEventToModContainer(LoadController.java:208) ~[LoadController.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:187) ~[LoadController.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:118) ~[LoadController.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:691) ~[Loader.class:?]
... 5 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.client.gui.GuiScreen
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:191) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:118) ~[LoadController.class:?]
... 5 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Attempted to load class net/minecraft/client/gui/GuiScreen for invalid side SERVER
at cpw.mods.fml.common.asm.transformers.SideTransformer.transform(SideTransformer.java:50) ~[forgeSrc-1.7.10-10.13.2.1230.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.runTransformers(LaunchClassLoader.java:279) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:176) ~[launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
... 5 more
[18:14:23] [server thread/ERROR]: This crash report has been saved to: /Users/Kids/Desktop/MiniMods/Harry Potter/eclipse/./crash-reports/crash-2015-03-22_18.14.23-server.txt
[18:14:23] [server thread/WARN] [FML]: Can't revert to frozen GameData state without freezing first.
[18:14:23] [server thread/INFO] [FML]: Applying holder lookups
[18:14:23] [server thread/INFO] [FML]: Holder lookups applied
[18:14:23] [server thread/INFO] [FML]: The state engine was in incorrect state ERRORED and forced into state SERVER_STOPPED. Errors may have been discarded.
[18:14:23] [server thread/INFO] [FML]: The state engine was in incorrect state ERRORED and forced into state AVAILABLE. Errors may have been discarded.

So I did some testing for that method and the server won't even run when I put that in the onItemRightClick method of my item. Here's the report:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/gui/GuiScreen
~Snip~
[/quote]

I can't figure out what to fix here  

Yeah, exacly - "TOTALLY Client". Guis (classes) are not present on Dedicated server.

If you want to use this method you will need to call it via proxy. Common = return, Client = mc.displayGuiScreen(...)

As to "right way" - it's comatybile with anything else, it's just a normal call for gui that is not including forge in process.

If you want you can still use player.openGui and put some irrelevant stuff in arguments (like 0 0 0) and ofc. inside your GuiHandler for server side elemnt you will return null. Yet I don't know if this won't make your mod require server side (it probably will).

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

As Ernio mentioned, using proxy is proper way to handle the case of classes that may not be loaded on client side.  However, I successfully open custom GUI's on client side with just a world.isRemote style check.  People have discussed that hear before, but sometimes the Java compiler cares if it sees a class it doesn't know at compile time, but in other cases it will only crash if the code executes (which it won't if you check for world.isRemote).

So I suggest you first just check for world.isRemote before trying to call the displeyGuiScreen() method.

Furthermore I checked and found that in my custom GUI I did not use an @SideOnly annotation, although it is a subclass of GuiScreen which does have @SideOnly.  I'm not quite sure what the compiler does in that case, but it is quite possible that it is satisfied with my custom class.  So try taking out the @SideOnly annotation from your GUI class if you have it.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/