[1.8] no sound when climbing custom ladder

csb123

Hello,

I'm working on a mod that adds ladders for the different wood variants.

To achieve this I've subclassed BlockLadder, by subclass is super simple:

public class BlockLadder extends net.minecraft.block.BlockLadder {

public BlockLadder() {
	super();
	setHardness(0.4F);
	setStepSound(Block.soundTypeLadder);

}

}

The ladders render fine and I can climb them, but I don't get the normal ladder climbing sound when travelling vertically. I do get the ladder sound if I'm moving horizontally between ladders though.

Can anybody tell me how to trigger the ladder climbing sound? The only place I can find soundTypeLadder referenced in the Minecraft code is the Block.registerBlock method, and I'm already doing that in my constructor.

Thanks in advance :)

Chris

Hey, it wouldnt work if you just do "setStepSound()". this will mean you have to actualy walk on top of them. But since you climb a ladder it wouldnt work.

In the vanilla codes, "BlockLadder", I found this. add it to your code and see if it worked out

@Override
    public boolean isLadder(IBlockAccess world, int x, int y, int z, EntityLivingBase entity)
    {
        return true;
    }

Projects:

Discontinued:

- N2ConfigAPI

- Meachanical Crafting Table

Latest:

- CollectionUtils

Coöperations:

- InGameConfigManager

Hey, it wouldnt work if you just do "setStepSound()". this will mean you have to actualy walk on top of them. But since you climb a ladder it wouldnt work.

In the vanilla codes, "BlockLadder", I found this. add it to your code and see if it worked out

@Override
    public boolean isLadder(IBlockAccess world, int x, int y, int z, EntityLivingBase entity)
    {
        return true;
    }

This wouldn't change anything, because he extends BlockLadder already (he can already climb), but correct me if I am wrong!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies :)

Yeah, as I'm extending BlockLadder, isLadder() already returns true. Just to make 100% certain I've overridden isLadder again inside my subclass, but the result's the same - sound only works when travelling horizontally across ladders but not up and down ladders.

In the cases where you extend a class but it isn't being recognized as that class in Minecraft code, it is usually due to the fact that the Minecraft code must being doing a comparison with the actual instance (Blocks.ladder) instead of checking for instanceof BlockLadder. Your custom class will never test true against Blocks.ladder.

You may have to play the sound yourself by checking if player is moving on it. Might be easy or might be tricky, not sure.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/