OSX - no fonts with latest 1.7.10 src (works fine on linux)

MHinct

Missing and/or screwed up Minecraft client fonts when running './gradlew runClient' on OSX within latest forge workspace

1) unzip forge-1.7.10-10.13.3.1407-1.7.10-src.zip

2) gradlew setupDecompWorkspace eclipse

3) ./gradlew runClient

[16:06:33] [main/INFO] [FML]: Forge Mod Loader version 7.10.85.1291 for Minecraft 1.7.10 loading

[16:06:33] [main/INFO] [FML]: Java is Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM, version 1.7.0_65, running on Mac OS X:x86_64:10.10.3

NOTE: I do not have this problem on ubuntu. OSX only.

Still trying to track down and find a proper solution to this. It happens on very rare occasions on macs.

What EXACT OS version, Graphics Card, Drivers, all the important information you can think of.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

OSX Yosemite version 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Nividia GeForce GT 650M 1024MB

Darwin Kernel Version 14.3.0: Mon Mar 23 11:59:05 PDT 2015; root:xnu-2782.20.48~5/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Please let me know if there is anything else I can give you.  I sure appreciate the work you all do, and I would be happy to help if I can.  Thanks!!!

Here's more video card info:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fd5

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3682

gMux Version: 1.9.23

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

--  It looks as if the fonts aren't being loaded to me.  Let me know if you would like a screen shot.  If I run it within eclipse, it's just blank fonts (they are just missing), but if I run it from the command line via 'gradlew runClient' it looks like the fonts are replaced with garbage---link unprintable characters usually look.

What exact driver version/provider do you have?

The theory is that something in your drivers is telling them that the font {and other} textures are free, so OSX is using that memory to render your desktop. Which is why sometimes you see random garbage. We have a theory that it's a bug in one of the core drivers trying to impose their will on things that are not in the spec.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

What exact driver version/provider do you have?

The theory is that something in your drivers is telling them that the font {and other} textures are free, so OSX is using that memory to render your desktop. Which is why sometimes you see random garbage. We have a theory that it's a bug in one of the core drivers trying to impose their will on things that are not in the spec.

This is from 'gradlew runClient':

GL info: ' Vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation' Version: '2.1 NVIDIA-10.2.7 310.41.25f01' Renderer: 'NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M OpenGL Engine'

Is there any command or file that you know of to the get the exact info you need?

As far as I know, my system is fully updated and patched---I know that probably doesn't help much :(

Thanks!

Apple -> About This Mac -> More Info

Expand the Hardware drop-down and click on the Graphics/Display option

Probably gunna show the same information you jsut posted, but i'll forward this to fry/cpw they are the ones poking at shit.

Apple -> About This Mac -> More Info

Expand the Hardware drop-down and click on the Graphics/Display option

Probably gunna show the same information you jsut posted, but i'll forward this to fry/cpw they are the ones poking at shit.

Yup, that's exactly how I got the info for you in the post above that starts: "Here's more video card info:"  That's everything that Apple is reporting.  I've grepped through the logs looking for stuff.  If there is access available to any of the revisions between forge-1.7.10-10.13.2.1291 and

forge-1.7.10-10.13.3.1407 I would be glad to download them and run them and see if we could narrow down when this issue began. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thanks!

Every version of Forge is available at the download page...

They are automatically built and published to our site.

Right on, sorry I've only been doinking around with this stuff for a few days.  Still getting familiar with your site. 

It looks like the bug was introduced (for my macbook) with this src release 10.13.3.1389

Maybe that will help narrow the search.

• 1 month later...

I am suffering from the same situation: Garbage/No Fonts on OSX with Forge 1.7.10 on splash (and subsequent) screen. No issue when running standard 1.7.10 or latest standard version (1.8.7).

My config: IMac 27", 16GB, i7, 3,5Ghz, Nvidia Geforce GTX775M. I tried the recommended (1481) and the latest version (1448) of Forge for 1.7.10. Both have same outcome. Since I am planning to run Flan´s Mod, I am dependent on 1.7.10.

More Details:

Bootstrap (v5)

System.getProperty('os.name') == 'Mac OS X'

System.getProperty('os.version') == '10.9.5'

System.getProperty('os.arch') == 'x86_64'

System.getProperty('java.version') == '1.6.0_65'

System.getProperty('java.vendor') == 'Apple Inc.'

System.getProperty('sun.arch.data.model') == '64'

Is there any recommended work around here ? Any help is highly appreciated!