[1.8] Getting a worldObj in TileEntity.readFromNBT

Failender

Hello everyone,

I am triing to safe another TileEntity inside another. I do this because I need a reference to "drain energy" from it.

I am doing it this way because I am building a mod which based on each player having his own base, which is storing all the stuff like energy. That means that each "machine" needs a reference to the base to drain energy from it.

So I thought about setting the TileEntity and saving it.

Problem is if I want to read it I need a worldObj to get the TileEntity from at a saved BlockPos.

To sum things up:

I need to get a worldObj on client and server side.

Client side should be easy, use Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.

For Server I have no idea.

Also I need a way to find out if I am on Server or Client Side, because otherway it will crash when I try to access Minecraft.getMinecraft.

Of course one way would be a try catch around Minecraft.getMinecraft , catching the ClassNotFoundException, but that feels shitty..

Never make a direct reference to a TileEntity over a long period! It can change and you will crash/bug out. Instead, just have a BlockPos variable you save to and read from NBT, and whenever you need to get the TileEntity, use

IBlockAccess#getTileEntity()

to get it. This makes sure you don't change a TileEntity that doesn't exist anymore.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/