[1.8] Trouble with ore dictionary and recipes

TehStoneMan

Hello. I am trying to create a recipe that uses an ore dictionary entry, but I keep getting "Null pointer exception" on the recipe definition

GameRegistry.addRecipe( new ItemStack( ModItems.itemWheelHub ), new Object[]
						{ "SWS",
						  "WIW",
						  "SWS",
							'S', Items.stick,
							'W', "woodPlank",
							'I', Items.iron_ingot } );

Everywhere I look tells me that this is the correct way of using the ore dictionary, but it doesn't seem to be working. If I replace "woodPlank" with Blocks.planks, it will compile and run fine. Doing a debug trace, it looks to me as if the CraftingManager does not recognise a string as a valid entry.

Is this correct or can somebody help me please?

Using Forge 1.8-11.14.3.1486

My bet is that ModItems.itemWheelHub is not defined (i.e. null)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Hi

Perhaps try a two step method like this

// g) Shaped Ore recipe - any type of tree leaves arranged around sticks makes a sapling
    //    Ores are a way for mods to add blocks & items which are equivalent to vanilla blocks for crafting
    //    For example - an ore recipe which uses "logWood" will accept a log of spruce, oak, birch, pine, etc.
    //    If your mod registers its balsawood log using  OreDictionary.registerOre("logWood", BalsaWood), then your
    //    BalsaWood log will also be accepted in the recipe.
    IRecipe saplingRecipe = new ShapedOreRecipe(new ItemStack(Blocks.sapling), new Object[] {
            "LLL",
            "LSL",
            ".S.",
            'S', Items.stick,   // can use ordinary items, blocks, itemstacks in ShapedOreRecipe
            'L', "treeLeaves",  // look in OreDictionary for vanilla definitions
    });
    GameRegistry.addRecipe(saplingRecipe);

If that doesn't work, keep breaking it into smaller pieces

eg ItemStack saplingStack = new ItemStack(Blocks.sapling)

etc

perhaps stepping in with the debugger will help too

This is running in init not preInit, yes?

-TGG

I think your woodPlank should be plankWood.  This is what I have for ore dictionary recipe in my 1.8 mod.

for(ItemStack s : OreDictionary.getOres("plankWood"))
	{
		GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(TEBlocks.woodenDrawBridge), new Object[]{"SSS", "III","SSS", 'S', (s), 'I', Blocks.iron_block});

}

Thanks GreyGhost. Your post showed me where I went wrong following your "MinecraftByExample"

I had started by making a regular crafting recipe for initial testing, but didn't see that the function call had changed when looking at the ore dictionary version. It all works now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements