[1.8] Gravity! or the lack thereof.

wmcritter

A while ago I asked if it was possible to turn off gravity for the player, and I was told that it was possible and pretty simple. Well, I'm now ready to give it a try. So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Basically, I want the player to behave as if they were flying in creative mode all the time.

Any tutorials to follow? Can anyone at least point me toward the right classes to investigate?

Thanks.

Basically, I want the player to behave as if they were flying in creative mode all the time.

Then make them flying all the time:

player.capabilities.allowFlying = true;
player.isFlying = true; // this may not work perfectly, as it gets set back to false when they touch the ground

You could set up a player tick handler to check if isFlying is false and motionY < 0, then set isFlying to true at that time. Trouble is, motionY is often only accurate on the client side, so you may have to send a packet.

Thanks for the help so far. To achieve my desired result, it appears as though I can create a new player class that extends EntityPlayer, and from there override onLivingUpdate().

The part I'm having trouble with now is how to register my new player class and get it to take the place of the normal player. For blocks, items, and tile entities, it is a simple matter of calling GameRegistry.registerXXX, but I don't see any registry for the player. The closest I have found is EntityRegistry.registerModEntity, but that seems to be for mobs only. As usual, any help is appreciated.

p.s. I appreciate these forums, but the search function is utterly worthless. I tried searching for "Register Player" and other similar phrases, but the results were nonsensical, unrelated, and restricted to only a single page. Are the operators of this site aware of this?

Does this look right:

public class EventHandlerTest 
{
Minecraft mc;
public EventHandlerTest()
{
	mc = Minecraft.getMinecraft();
}

@SubscribeEvent
public void PlayerTickevent(TickEvent.PlayerTickEvent event)
{
	if (event.phase == Phase.END)
	{
		EntityPlayerSP player = mc.thePlayer;

//do my stuff
	}
}

}

More explanations:

Thanks for the help so far. To achieve my desired result, it appears as though I can create a new player class that extends EntityPlayer, and from there override onLivingUpdate().

You probably looked (my guess) into repo I linked - it is using PlayerAPI - which provides additional player class hooks. Additional opinion: Do NOT use this API if you won't utilize its full potential. Most of it can be done with Forge directly.

As to problem:

TickEvents are FML events that occur:

Player - server/client for each player (on client, it will be loaded by you players)

Server - server for whole server

World - server for each world

Client/Render - obviously on client

Each event has 2 phases (event.phase) - pick one phase, otherwise code runs twice.

Minecraft.class is client only class:

* You cannot reference it anythwere i common classes (only in client ones, common-class = one which is accesed by server-sided code).

* mc.thePlayer is the player yo uare controlling, literally "you".

To run code per-player you use PlayerTickEvent and use 'event.player' as your player.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Thanks Ernio. Here is what I have so far. It's not finished, but it at least has the basic functionality I'm looking for. When I press "forward" I don't go toward the front of my body, instead I go in the direction I am looking, including the Y axis. The result is that I "fly" wherever I look.

@SubscribeEvent
public void PlayerTickevent(TickEvent.PlayerTickEvent event)
{
	if (event.phase == Phase.END)
	{		
		if (event.player != null)
		{
			if (event.player.moveForward != 0)
			{
				Vector3 playerPos = new Vector3(event.player);
				Vec3 look = event.player.getLookVec();
				Vector3 look3 = new Vector3(look);
				look3 = look3.scale(event.player.getAIMoveSpeed());

double motionX = look3.x;
				double motionY = look3.y;
				double motionZ = look3.z;

event.player.motionX = motionX;
				event.player.motionY = motionY;
				event.player.motionZ = motionZ; 
			}
			else
			{
				event.player.motionX = 0d;
				event.player.motionZ = 0d;
				if (!event.player.isSneaking())
					event.player.motionY = 0;
			}
		}
	}
}

event.player.motionX = motionX;
				event.player.motionY = motionY;
				event.player.motionZ = motionZ; 

That's because you also set the the

motionY

in the way you are looking. Setting

motionY

to 0 should fix that.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

larsgerrits: flying is what I want :) It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Sorry, misread. I thought you didn't want to move in the Y direction and only in the X and Z directions.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

So is there anything else you need? You said "it's not finished" but I don't see a question :C

Yeah, I need a bunch :)

Mostly, I'm trying to learn it on my own, and just come here when I'm stuck. The last bit of code I posted was just a sanity check. See if you guys see anything just plain wrong in the code.