[1.8] Custom text file IO best practices ?

DJD

I was wondering what the best way to save/read generated  files so that the user can edit them manually. Do I use a property file ? Or do I mess around with generic text files ?

The file will contain an element consisting of single fields  (such as "name") and some variable length 3 dimensional arrays. This is one "record" in the file, but it can contain multiple elements as well.

I could do it as a binary but I want the user to be able to edit its contents in notepad or some such so I don't have to create a utility to read/mod it.

Also, where is the proper place for mod writers to place their generated files (in terms of minecraft/mods) ?

I don't keep an open mind lest someone try to fill it with garbage - Mark Twain

I was wondering what the best way to save/read generated  files so that the user can edit them manually. Do I use a property file ? Or do I mess around with generic text files ?

The file will contain an element consisting of single fields  (such as "name") and some variable length 3 dimensional arrays. This is one "record" in the file, but it can contain multiple elements as well.

I could do it as a binary but I want the user to be able to edit its contents in notepad or some such so I don't have to create a utility to read/mod it.

Also, where is the proper place for mod writers to place their generated files (in terms of minecraft/mods) ?

Why do you need a 3D array?

The right format would probably be minecraft/yourmod/filename.txt

Maker of the Craft++ mod.

I could do 1 dimensional arrays for batches of  data at x,y,z coords (which I'll probably do) but the coding gets a bit more "cluttered" than I like.

Really its more a preference to keep learning stuff I'm not wholly comfortable with and keep my skills up (including getting used to Eclipse as an IDE).

I probably will settle on a sequential access file type structure for my mod. The downside is it won't be as readable as a Property file, but it should still be hand-editable.....

Now if I can only get my Eclipse to stop fighting me when I'm coding  ! :D

Heheh :D .

I thought of that but it seems so many folks use Eclipse I thought I'd go with something a lot of other folks seem to be using.

And why the heck don't they have #Regions like C++ does so you can group methods without having to scroll through them (even reduced with the + some classes require FAR to much scrolling through)...  /Rant Done

But to stay on topic (too late, I know) but here's another dumb question:

Some of the writing I think requires me to use JRE 1.7 code, is that compatable with Forge ? Or does it matter since its compiled anyway ?

Still flailing a little with Eclipse (this is off a fresh install so I kept my messing with things to a minimum). I guess I could play with the compiler settings if I get a little more froggy......

I'll try to make everything work in 1.6 just to be safe.......