Q: Would an abstract ForgeMod class be useful?

jeffryfisher

While making my five mods (in 1.7.10), I caught myself doing some of the same things again and again. For a while now, I've thought that some generic mod features could be codified in one place to be inherited by every mod I start. As I work to upgrade all my mods to 1.8, I am side-tracking to encapsulate as much of the required repetition as I can in a package of abstract classes that will do just that (become parents to all my mods/client proxies).

It occurs to me that I might be able to generalize my own mod-series parents into something generally useful: an abstract class from which anybody could extend a new mod. So, if/when I get my mods working in MC1.8, should I share my package with its abstract classes, or just keep it for my own development? If I shared, where (I don't know jack about github, please point to *its* tutorial)

Cheers,

Uncle Jeff, Vancouver WA

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

We decided against this when we developed the @Mod system.

Having a generic abstract base class is mainly just bloat and limits functionality.

Using annotations allow for expansion, mix/matching and expansion without breaking mods.

So no, this is something we specifically decided against in the beginning.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Aha, I surmised as much (that it wouldn't be flexible enough to be incorporated into Forge itself). However, there may be a sample-mod or tutorial place where my package could give a head start to new modders attempting their first run-of-the-mill mods.

If I end up with code that actually accelerates my next new mod (after I'm done with upgrades to 1.8), then I may yet find such a modders' forum and share the source there.

-- Uncle Jeff, Vancouver WA

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.