[1.8] Custom furnace

Sakuya is my waifu

so i was digging in TileEntityFurnace class and at the top you can see something like this:

private static final int[] slotsTop = new int[] {0};
    private static final int[] slotsBottom = new int[] {2, 1};
    private static final int[] slotsSides = new int[] {1};

what does those numbers mean?

~thanks

"The cycle of life and death continues. We will live, they will die."

Out of curiosity, what's the performance difference between keeping them as constants versus returning

new int[]{0}

every time where is needed?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

so for example if you change up any of those (input, output, fuel) you should have more slots right? but their positions? i don't quite understand where actual slot positions are defined... first time making tile entity with functional container and i'm like  (゚ー゚;)

ItemStack[] inventory = new ItemStack[3]; //0 is 0, 1 is 1, 2 is 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Out of curiosity, what's the performance difference between keeping them as constants versus returning

new int[]{0}

Modern JVMs love short-lived objects. The young generation (newly created objects) garbage collectors are very efficient at getting rid of objects, so it might even be faster (because you get less cache-misses) to use a new object every time. In the end both have probably comparable performance and it doesn't matter.

So it doesnt matter if i use something like this:

public static final int fuel = 2;

instead of original, right?

new int[]{0}

Modern JVMs love short-lived objects. The young generation (newly created objects) garbage collectors are very efficient at getting rid of objects, so it might even be faster (because you get less cache-misses) to use a new object every time. In the end both have probably comparable performance and it doesn't matter.

Cool.  Its one of the things I never turned into a property because it was something that was never referenced for any reason except by that interface, so I felt no need to "save it for later."  (More expensive stuff, like Reflected objects, absolutely, but simple objects? na).

So it doesnt matter if i use something like this:

public static final int fuel = 2;

instead of original, right?

It has to be an array:

public static final int[] fuel = {2};

so for example if you change up any of those (input, output, fuel) you should have more slots right? but their positions? i don't quite understand where actual slot positions are defined... first time making tile entity with functional container and i'm like  (゚ー゚;)

Hi

You might find this tutorial project useful

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

MBE31 has an example of a custom furnace that explains the slot numbering a lot better than looking at vanilla.

-TGG