Turning off World Generation

weckar

So, after my disastrous last idea (which was still very educational, thank you all for that!) I've decided to turn my attention to biomes and world generation. Adding worldgen is easy enough, it seems, but I have yet to find a way to disable default world generation for custom biomes: Ores, ravines... that sort of thing. Ideally I'd do it selectively, but...

I also cannot find the place in vanilla code where these things are called as I am using cpw's interface.

A few pointers (or a big shove in the right direction) are as always appreciated.

If anyone has a comprehensive, visual guide to GUIs - don't hesitate to message me. They make my head spin.

What do you exactly want to change in the way minecraft generates the world. So let's say that you want to change how minecraft generates ravines. What do you want to do with them? Make them generate bigger?, Smaller? You want to completely remove the ravines from generating (I don't see a point on this)?

Since you apparently want to change the generation of existing "worldgens" then i am assuming that there has to be a event that will help you on this. However i am not sure because i don't work with events often and i am unexperienced on this side.

EDIT: If you want a good tutorial on world generation check out jabelar's tutorial. He is very detailed and may help you to achieve what you want. Also i did not post a link here because i don't know if jabelar will be ok with it so simply google it.

A lot of things that you stated above are generated in chunk provider. With default world type, it's ChunkProviderGenerate (but modded ones should also post events you are interested in). There are some interesting things there, so read carefully. Also, if you want somewhat deofbuscated version of it, it's here (1.7.10): https://gist.github.com/elix-x/c9e10d85f46763707e1d .

Thanks much. Seems I'll need to interrupt the chunk provider when it is building my custom biome so that small lakes, lava lakes, ravines and such do not appear. Or can I use a custom chunk provider just for one biome...?

If anyone has a comprehensive, visual guide to GUIs - don't hesitate to message me. They make my head spin.

Thanks much. Seems I'll need to interrupt the chunk provider when it is building my custom biome so that small lakes, lava lakes, ravines and such do not appear. Or can I use a custom chunk provider just for one biome...?

It's really kinda difficult, but if you have access to change chunk provider, you can use any (or even your own). One biome chunk provider exists in vanilla and it's ChunkProviderHell (don't worry, it will not generate your biome like nether). Ravines and caves are map features that you can disable via events (if provider posts them, or in provider directly, if you own it). Lakes are pretty hard to remove completely, because they are generated in 2 places...

Actually, i have post on these forums that you might be interested in. I'm trying to do some things with world gen, like control heights, remove lakes... Here's link: http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,34621