[1.7.10] adding a potion effect before entity is killed

Elrol_Arrowsend

Im trying to add a potion effect to an entity when the entity is attacked. Problem is when you attack the weaker mobs chickens and sheep. They are killed and the potion effect is not added. But on cows which take 2 hits to kill the first hit does damage and adds the potion effect then the second one kills it. I am trying to have to potion effect applied before the entity is killed. If you can help that would be great

here is my EventHandler for the potion

@SubscribeEvent
public void onEntityUpdate(LivingUpdateEvent event){

if(event.entityLiving.isPotionActive(PotionRegistry.soulBindPot)){
		if(event.entityLiving.worldObj.rand.nextInt(20) == 0){
			if(event.entityLiving.getHealth() == 0){
				System.out.println("Killed while Soul Bind was in effect");
			}else{
			}
		}
		if(event.entityLiving.getActivePotionEffect(PotionRegistry.soulBindPot).getDuration() == 0){
			event.entityLiving.removePotionEffect(PotionRegistry.soulBindPot.id);
		}
	}
}

@SubscribeEvent
public void onEntityDeath(LivingDeathEvent event){
	if(event.entityLiving.isPotionActive(PotionRegistry.soulBindPot)){
		if(event.source.damageType.equals("player")){
			EntityPlayer player = (EntityPlayer)event.source.getSourceOfDamage();
			int soul = 0;
			if(event.entityLiving instanceof EntityPlayer){
				//Black Souls
				soul = 5;
			}else{
				if(event.entityLiving.getMaxHealth() <= 4){
					//Petty Souls
					soul = 0;
				}else if(event.entityLiving.getMaxHealth() <= 8 && event.entityLiving.getMaxHealth() > 4 ){
					//Lesser Souls
					soul = 1;
				}else if(event.entityLiving.getMaxHealth() <= 20 && event.entityLiving.getMaxHealth() > 8 ){
					//Common Souls
					soul = 2;
				}else if(event.entityLiving.getMaxHealth() <= 100 && event.entityLiving.getMaxHealth() > 20 ){
					//Greater Souls
					soul = 3;
				}else if(event.entityLiving.getMaxHealth() > 100 ){
					//Grand Souls
					soul = 4;
				}
			}

switch(soul){
			case 0:
				if(!player.inventory.hasItem(ItemRegistry.pettySoulGem)){
					player.addChatComponentMessage(new ChatComponentText("No empty Petty Soul Gem"));
					break;
				}
				for(int i = 0; i < player.inventory.mainInventory.length; i ++){
					if(player.inventory.mainInventory[i] != null && player.inventory.mainInventory[i].getItem().equals(ItemRegistry.pettySoulGem)){
						for(int j = 0; j < player.inventory.mainInventory.length; j++){
							if(player.inventory.mainInventory[j] == null){
								player.addChatComponentMessage(new ChatComponentText("Soul Captured"));
								player.inventory.consumeInventoryItem(ItemRegistry.pettySoulGem);
								player.inventory.setInventorySlotContents(j, new ItemStack(ItemRegistry.pettySoulGemFilled));
								break;
							}
						}
					}else{
						System.out.println("Error: ");
					}
				}
				break;
			case 1:
				if(!player.inventory.hasItem(ItemRegistry.lesserSoulGem)){
					player.addChatComponentMessage(new ChatComponentText("No empty Lesser Soul Gem"));
					break;
				}
					if(player.inventory.mainInventory[i] != null && player.inventory.mainInventory[i].getItem().equals(ItemRegistry.lesserSoulGem)){
								player.inventory.consumeInventoryItem(ItemRegistry.lesserSoulGem);
								player.inventory.setInventorySlotContents(j, new ItemStack(ItemRegistry.lesserSoulGemFilled));
								break;
							}
						}
					}else{
					}
				}
				break;
			case 2:
				if(!player.inventory.hasItem(ItemRegistry.commonSoulGem)){
					player.addChatComponentMessage(new ChatComponentText("No empty Common Soul Gem"));
					break;
				}
					if(player.inventory.mainInventory[i] != null && player.inventory.mainInventory[i].getItem().equals(ItemRegistry.commonSoulGem)){
								player.inventory.consumeInventoryItem(ItemRegistry.commonSoulGem);
								player.inventory.setInventorySlotContents(j, new ItemStack(ItemRegistry.commonSoulGemFilled));
								break;
							}
						}
					}else{
					}
				}
				break;
			case 3:
				if(!player.inventory.hasItem(ItemRegistry.greaterSoulGem)){
					player.addChatComponentMessage(new ChatComponentText("No empty Greater Soul Gem"));
					break;
				}
					if(player.inventory.mainInventory[i] != null && player.inventory.mainInventory[i].getItem().equals(ItemRegistry.greaterSoulGem)){
								player.inventory.consumeInventoryItem(ItemRegistry.greaterSoulGem);
								player.inventory.setInventorySlotContents(j, new ItemStack(ItemRegistry.greaterSoulGemFilled));
								break;
							}
						}
					}else{
					}
				}
				break;
			case 4:

if(!player.inventory.hasItem(ItemRegistry.grandSoulGem)){
					player.addChatComponentMessage(new ChatComponentText("No empty Grand Soul Gem"));
					break;
				}
					if(player.inventory.mainInventory[i] != null && player.inventory.mainInventory[i].getItem().equals(ItemRegistry.grandSoulGem)){
								player.inventory.consumeInventoryItem(ItemRegistry.grandSoulGem);
								player.inventory.setInventorySlotContents(j, new ItemStack(ItemRegistry.grandSoulGemFilled));
								break;
							}
						}
					}else{
					}
				}
				break;
			case 5:

if(!player.inventory.hasItem(ItemRegistry.blackSoulGem)){
					player.addChatComponentMessage(new ChatComponentText("No empty Black Soul Gem"));
					break;
				}
					if(player.inventory.mainInventory[i] != null && player.inventory.mainInventory[i].getItem().equals(ItemRegistry.blackSoulGem)){
								player.inventory.consumeInventoryItem(ItemRegistry.blackSoulGem);
								player.inventory.setInventorySlotContents(j, new ItemStack(ItemRegistry.blackSoulGemFilled));
								break;
							}
						}
					}else{
					}
				}
				break;
			default:
			}		
		}	

}
}

Any reason you don't check to see if the entity was killed by the player?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

You know you can check for the player's active weapon in the EntityDeadEvent,  right? As well as any other property active on the player.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

i know that. Back to the point, I want my event to take an empty soul gem and fill it, I want the potion to be added to the chickens etc before the damage is applied to them, at the moment it seems to apply the potion effect after the damage is applied therefore the chickens and lesser health mobs are killed then the potion effect is added to their dying corpse. I am looking for a way to change that. the main reason that I want this to be a potion effect is that it will not only be on a sword, but on any weapon, a potion or spell. so that you can toss the potion or spell and kill them with any weapon.

This effect will be a potion a spell and an enchantment that can go on any weapon. Just like in skyrim it will depending on the level have a certain duration. Ie if target dies in 5 seconds fills gem. I know i can check the weapon the player is holding but there wont always be a weapon that has this effect. Long story short i need help applying the potion effect before the entity dies. The point of this topic is not about my methods or reasons.

This effect will be a potion a spell and an enchantment that can go on any weapon.

Again, what does the potion do?
Just like in skyrim it will depending on the level have a certain duration.
I do not know Skyrim. What level? What will have a duration?
Ie if target dies in 5 seconds fills gem.
Within 5 seconds of what?
Long story short i need help applying the potion effect before the entity dies.
Dies from what? You have not described this accurately at all.
The point of this topic is not about my methods or reasons.

Yes it is.

as I have said, the potion does nothing on its own. I have the event handler to check if the entity has the sould bind effect. if it does then the event handler will fill a soul gem. the level is in regards to the enchantment level. the higher the level the longer the duration of the soul bind potion effect. if the target dies in 5 seconds after the potion effect is applied then it will fill a gem. if the entity dies from anything, player, potion effects (poison harming etc) other players or entities, again I fail to see how any of this has to do with having the potion effect applied before damage is, when the entity dies the event is called and since the potion effect has not been applied it wont fill a gem, I want to rectify that and apply the damage after the entity gets the potion effect