How to properly create living entities?

x2robbie2x

I am currently trying to port a mod from 1.2.5 ModLoader into 1.4.5 Forge, and I have pretty much everything working but the entity spawning. I don't have them generate in the world, but they spawn on a keybind at a certain location.

I have my client/common proxy set up and the rendering it set there, and the common proxy's methods have been null'd.

When I press the keybind the entities spawn, but they're ghost entities in which I can't really hurt them, and I can walk through them. I've researched this a bit and it seems that that's what was broken when the servers/client side were more linked in 1.3.

I haven't modded since 1.2.5 and have never used forge before this, can anyone point me to a working entity spawning tutorial? I've tried the one on the wiki and it still doesn't work.

Thanks

Are you sure that you're actually spawning the entity on the server side? Keystrokes are client events, and just spawning an entity directly after a keystroke will only spawn it on the client side, which will result in a ghost entity, like you described.

edit:Just noticed the username of the creator of this thread :D. Just thought I'd say thanks for those modding videos you made. You helped me begin making my own mods and now I'm working on a great big project, so yeah. Thanks a bunch :)

Are you sure that you're actually spawning the entity on the server side? Keystrokes are client events, and just spawning an entity directly after a keystroke will only spawn it on the client side, which will result in a ghost entity, like you described.

edit:Just noticed the username of the creator of this thread :D. Just thought I'd say thanks for those modding videos you made. You helped me begin making my own mods and now I'm working on a great big project, so yeah. Thanks a bunch :)

Yeah I figured out that's what is wrong. I have the entity spawn after a key stroke and a GUI paints onto the screen. The GUI works but the entities don't. I tried to spawn the entities separately and they work like that. I have no idea how to work around that.

Haha no problem :D I love seeing people who started modding with my tutorials and went on to create projects much larger than I'd ever tackle :D

I do all spawning of entities solemnly on the server. Afaik, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, the trigger methods (for example a right click with an item) will be executed on the client and server simultaneously. Thus I check right before the creating of the new entity instance and its spawning if I'm on the server side and only then will spawn.

An exception for that of course is a GUI. They only exist in the client side as mentioned before. Here I would have the GUI trigger the sending of a network packet from the client to the packet handler on the server and have the packet handler trigger the correct spawning method on the server...

running minecraft on Mac OS X - Sierra --- creating code since 1986 ... --- मेरा दिल भारतवासी है!

width=289 height=100http://www.arno-saxena.de/pictures/chococraft/banner_signature.png[/img]

I do all spawning of entities solemnly on the server. Afaik, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, the trigger methods (for example a right click with an item) will be executed on the client and server simultaneously. Thus I check right before the creating of the new entity instance and its spawning if I'm on the server side and only then will spawn.

An exception for that of course is a GUI. They only exist in the client side as mentioned before. Here I would have the GUI trigger the sending of a network packet from the client to the packet handler on the server and have the packet handler trigger the correct spawning method on the server...

It's like, I understand what those words mean invidually, but when I combine them I'm lost. Haha like I said I'm new to Forge and the 1.3+ modding so are there any tutorials I could be pointed to for 'packet handlers'?

It's like, I understand what those words mean invidually, but when I combine them I'm lost. Haha like I said I'm new to Forge and the 1.3+ modding so are there any tutorials I could be pointed to for 'packet handlers'?

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Tutorials/Packet_Handling

Message me if you have any questions.

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Tutorials/Packet_Handling

Message me if you have any questions.

Wow you're the guy who made the mod that I reviewed yesterday! What a small world haha!