[1.8.9] [Solved] Need help making an automated method

Erfurt

Hey guys, so I have a small piece of code that I have to use a lot in my mod.

I have tried some stuff, like using an if statement to see if the block was an instance of my custom class. I couldn't get that to work. I have tried to have the code inside my custom class, that I couldn't get to work either.

ModelLoader.setCustomStateMapper(myBlock, (new StateMap.Builder()).ignore(BlockWall.VARIANT).build());

As You might be able to see, I'm using this code to ignore the Variant property from BlockWall. I need to do this otherwise my own custom walls won't render, because of missing variants.

Anyhow, I'm adding a bunch of custom wall blocks with my mod, and for the time being I have to use that piece of code everytime, I'm adding a new wall block. So I would like to know if there's a way to make the code into a sort of automated method that will just 'apply' the code for all my blocks that are an instance of my custom wall class? I'm still fairly new to modding and java coding in generel, so I'm not sure exactly how to do this. I'm not really asking to just get the code, but rather asking for guidance on how to do something like this, if it's possible. The code would be nice to get however, so I can see how it's done, but if someone can point me in a helping direction, that would be awesome as well.

Easiest would probably be to have all of your blocks extend some Abstract class that you make that with a method that contains that line of code. (this class also extends block or whatever you need) Then where ever you need it just call that method.

Example:

public abstract class InBetween extends block{
   public void commonMethod(){
      //TODO add your code
   }
}

public class MyWall extends InBetween{
//TODO wall code
}

When you register your walls just add myWallInstance.commonMethod()

Current Project: Armerger 

Planned mods: Light Drafter  | Ore Swords

Looking for help getting a mod off the ground? Coding  | Textures

Easiest would probably be to have all of your blocks extend some Abstract class that you make that with a method that contains that line of code. (this class also extends block or whatever you need) Then where ever you need it just call that method.

Example:

//TODO add your code
   }
}

//TODO wall code
}

That seems pretty straight forward, I'll have to try it tomorrow, as it's getting pretty late here. But thanks I'm definitely going to try it :)

Example:

//TODO add your code
   }
}

//TODO wall code
}

I have a small question, when you say myWallInstance, what do you mean? Is it an instance of MyWall?

He means when you instantiate / initialize your Block class, you should call that method, but it would be easier to simply put whatever code you want automatically run into the abstract class' constructor:

public abstract class InBetween extends Block {
   public InBetween(args...) {
       // common code here
   }
}

public class MyWall extends InBetween {
   public MyWall(args...) {
       super(args); // calls common code each time you create a new MyWall
   }
}

However, since you are talking about CLIENT-side only stuff (model registration), you can't do either of what we have shown you. Instead, your best bet is probably to make an interface like this one, implement it in your InBetween class (and any other of your Block classes that have a custom state map), and then use Reflection or some other tactic to iterate over your blocks from your ClientProxy during the appropriate FML init event and call that method for each one that implements that interface.

The advantage of doing it that way is it encapsulates the Block's logic all in its own class, so it is easier to maintain, but you may be served just as well by doing it the old-fashioned way and simply calling the ModelLoader method manually for each of your blocks that requires it - it's very simple that way and, unless you have LOTS of blocks that require it, also much faster to do (and fewer lines of code).

I have a small question, when you say myWallInstance, what do you mean? Is it an instance of MyWall?

Yes.  It's an instance of MyWall.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

However, since you are talking about CLIENT-side only stuff (model registration), you can't do either of what we have shown you.

All you would need to do is make that method a ClientSide only method and then only call it from the the clientproxy class.

Current Project: Armerger 

Planned mods: Light Drafter  | Ore Swords

Looking for help getting a mod off the ground? Coding  | Textures

He means when you instantiate / initialize your Block class, you should call that method, but it would be easier to simply put whatever code you want automatically run into the abstract class' constructor:

public abstract class InBetween extends Block {
   public InBetween(args...) {
       // common code here
   }
}

public class MyWall extends InBetween {
   public MyWall(args...) {
       super(args); // calls common code each time you create a new MyWall
   }
}

However, since you are talking about CLIENT-side only stuff (model registration), you can't do either of what we have shown you. Instead, your best bet is probably to make an interface like this one, implement it in your InBetween class (and any other of your Block classes that have a custom state map), and then use Reflection or some other tactic to iterate over your blocks from your ClientProxy during the appropriate FML init event and call that method for each one that implements that interface.

The advantage of doing it that way is it encapsulates the Block's logic all in its own class, so it is easier to maintain, but you may be served just as well by doing it the old-fashioned way and simply calling the ModelLoader method manually for each of your blocks that requires it - it's very simple that way and, unless you have LOTS of blocks that require it, also much faster to do (and fewer lines of code).

However, since you are talking about CLIENT-side only stuff (model registration), you can't do either of what we have shown you.

All you would need to do is make that method a ClientSide only method and then only call it from the the clientproxy class.

Thanks for your help guys, however I think I'm way out of my capabilities here, so for now I'm just going to do it the old-fashioned way. I thought that it would have been something rather simple and easy to do, but I was wrong :)