Packet handler

Mightydanp

Forge's documentation has a section on networking here. This includes the Simple Network Implementation, which you should use to send your packets.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Send a packet to the appropriate side with the necessary information and then open a GUI from your packet handler.

Are you sure you need to send a packet? What type of GUI is this and where are you opening it from?

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Where are you trying to open it from?

If it's on the server (e.g. when the player right clicks a block/item), just call

EntityPlayer#openGUI

directly and FML will send a packet to the client telling it to open the same GUI.

If it's on the client (e.g. when the player presses a key), send a packet to the server and then call

EntityPlayer#openGUI

in the handler.