[1.9.4-1.10] Mod Works in both versions

American2050

I have a mod that works either in 1.9.4 and 1.10

The only thing I do when I move it from one environment to the other is change the version of the mod and minecraft version on the reference files on mcmod.info and build.gradle

What would be a good way to compile the mod just one and distribute that as compatible with both versions?

I see some mods do that, but where should I do that, on the 1.9.4 environment or in the 1.10?

PS: Would I still have to open my mod in both devs environments to see no errors show up?

I could be wrong but I think the only way a mod could be compiled in either 1.9.4 or 1.10 and work with either is if they make no reference to the obfuscated code that's changed between the versions of minecraft ( similarly mods that don't reference code at all like API's or maybe some core code ). Your mod may very well compile in 1.9.4 and 1.10 environments but that is likely because forge and MCP reobfuscates your code and references in your code to match the specific version 1.9.4 and 1.10. It is definitely safer just to compile two builds in 1.9.4 and 1.10 separately.

You can make this process quicker by setting up two separate build env's and running it with setupCIWorkspace instead of setupDevWorkspace and setupDecompWorkspace. This will save space for your two build env's and likely speed up the build. *note though, you cannot run and test minecraft in these env's you can only build your mod.* Storing your code in a central repo and pulling it down into the build env is also an easy way to stay in sync for your two build env's. At this point your also half way to setting up a CI server if you wanted to do things like nightlies, or whatever ;).