[1.10] Procedurally Generated Structures

TheXFactor117

I'm looking into creating procedurally generated structures, or more like dungeons, though I'm just wondering what the best way to handle this would be. Looking at how Strongholds are handled, it sure looks to be one hell of a process. I would think there would be a much simpler, efficient way of doing that though. What I'm looking at doing is just spawn the entrance of the dungeon first, then randomly test if more rooms are able to connect to it, if so, randomly pick a room, and the process continues, of course with a decrease in probability as the rooms generate. If anyone has some ideas on how to accomplish this, I'd love to hear them.

Developer of Levels and Lost Eclipse

Recursion wouldn't be a bad place to start given the approach you have described. Lots of resources available online for both recursion and procedural generation, all of which you should be able to apply pretty directly to Minecraft.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that not all chunks will be loaded when your generation starts, so if your algorithm can proceed from any arbitrary point that would be best (as in chunk 1 generates with your entrance but the algorithm doesn't require chunks 2-8 to also load immediately - they can load independently at any time and still continue potentially generating your dungeon).

Very simple in theory, much more difficult in practice. Good luck!

Sounds simple enough. But as you said, I did run into the issue with generating in chunks I believe. Could you possibly elaborate on how to handle the chunks properly?

Actually I take that back - just a simple issue with the recursion. Other than that, thanks for the tips! I think doing it this way is definitely very simple and straightforward, so thank you for that.

I do have one question though - how would I go about rotating newer rooms and placing them off of the one procedurally generated before that. I can generate and move new rooms around the main room through using EnumFacing, but using EnumFacing's rotation methods don't seem to work as I thought they would. Is that a way you can handle rotating it, or is there a different way?

Here's what I have now, and bear with me as things might be kinda messy - just a lot of experimentation right now. I've tried several different variations of essentially the same code, though they all produce relatively similar results (placing down a room with the same facing each time, just on different sides of the room beforehand).

My source is out there for command runner mod. It's procedural (will be) with !for, !wait, and !replacing macros. I currently recursively rotate.

It has one command executefile

example

/executefile File load1.caleb byline rotateplayerfacing cascade

cascade causes "cascade rotation" recursion for called files. Couldn't think of a better name late at night.

I do need a different approach, in rotating blocks.

www.commandrunnermod.com

You need to use the offset functions when determining block positions. Check out the way vanilla villages and such actually place blocks - I don't have access to the code right now, but in 1.8 and previously each coordinate would be run through functions similar to these ones that I wrote.

I'm pretty sure vanilla has methods you can use already, including one(s) that will handle blockstate/metadata, so use those if you can rather than writing your own. I just happened to have some on hand from previous work, so it was faster to use them at the time rather than figure out both that vanilla had what I needed and how to use it.