Execution failed for ':decompileMc' - GC overhead limit exceeded

Jay Avery

I'm trying to set up Forge for the first time. When I run the command

gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

, I end up with this error:

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':decompileMc'.
> GC overhead limit exceeded

I've done loads of googling for solutions and tried a bunch of things, but none of them have worked so far. I followed the instructions on this tutorial to increase the RAM, I added the JAVA_HOME variable and ran the special command as described here, still the same error keeps happening.

I am a total newbie to modding and to this forum. Sorry if I've broken any rules or done something silly, but please don't just throw a bunch of jargon at me with no explanation because it won't help!

I created a text file called "gradle.properties" in the same folder as the gradlew.bat file. In the text file I wrote the line "org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx4096M" (I experimented variously with 2G, 4G, 2048M, none making much difference - 4096M was just my most recent attempt).

:) I made the same mistake as you did.

Place that file in your home folder/.gradle

So if your now would be John, that would probably be C:\Users\John

I tried that too! But I followed a Forge tutorial that told me to copy-paste the files from the downloaded zip into a folder in my documents that I could easily access - rather than using an installer that made folders itself. Should I try deleting the files that I copy-pasted from the downloaded zip, and instead download a version that uses an installer?

When I tried installing forge a week ago I also kept getting that error. I tried 10 solution but when I realised I placed that file in the wrong folder I just started clean from the tutorial from the forge site itself (the one you followed) and it worked first time. So I suggest starting from scratch with the file placed correctly. If that doesn't work then I don't know what the problem is and someone more experienced than me should take a look.

When I tried installing forge a week ago I also kept getting that error. I tried 10 solution but when I realised I placed that file in the wrong folder I just started clean from the tutorial from the forge site itself (the one you followed) and it worked first time. So I suggest starting from scratch with the file placed correctly. If that doesn't work then I don't know what the problem is and someone more experienced than me should take a look.

I guess that makes sense! I will try starting from scratch and update on whether it works...

The workspace directory with build.gradle and your code can be anywhere, but the gradle.properties file with the JVM arguments needs to be in the ~/.gradle directory (or %USERPROFILE%\.gradle on Windows).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Okay, so I deleted the Forge files and then downloaded again and followed the tutorial to the letter. Created a gradle.properties file in the ~\.gradle folder and wrote the line org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx4G.

Then when I did

gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

it still failed, but this time with the slightly different error:

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':decompileMc'.
> Java heap space

Then I tried again with the special command from here, and got the same Java heap space error.

What do I try next? :(

Do you have the

JAVA_OPTS

environment variable set? If so, delete it.

Where do I find out whether I have that or not? (I will remind you of my extreme noob alert)

Environment variables are a part of your operating system. There should be various sites out there that explain how to view and edit environment variables on your OS, use your search engine of choice to find them.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Environment variables are a part of your operating system. There should be various sites out there that explain how to view and edit environment variables on your OS, use your search engine of choice to find them.

Oh, gotcha. I don't have a JAVA_OPTS environment variable, but I have a JAVA_HOME variable (added following the instructions at the github link in my OP) if that's relevant.

Run

gradlew setupDecompWorkspace --info --stacktrace

and post the output here, there may be some useful information in the log.

I got same error, and fixed it by explicitly set JVM arguments for gradle.

Put appropriate JVM args (Like -Xmx2G) to gradle.properties on your project location. (You should create the file if there isn't one)

Like this:

org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx2G

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

Ugh, that really annoying thing has happened where I've managed to get it to work but I still don't really understand how or what the problem was. The only difference was that this time I added the

-Dorg.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx4096M

into the command as I entered it, rather than making a gradle.properties file. Maybe I was doing something wrong in making the properties file?? Oh well. Thanks everyone for your patience and advice!