[1.7.10] Fixing interaction between a block and an item with events

First of all, I know that 1.7.10 is outdated but because the mod with the bug (AppliedEnergistics 2) is still on 1.7.10 and the 1.10.x version will take its time and many people are still playing with the mod, especially in the FTB Infinity Pack, I really want to try and fix this. As I have exactly no idea about the code base of AE2 and can only work with the information given by the AE2 devs, I am trying to do this with events. The bug I am talking about is that you can circumvent protections done with Bukkit plugins like GriefPrevention when you wrench an AE cable with any compatible wrench because the wrench operates in the onItemUseFirst method which apparently doesn't fire any events and the wrench also doesn't do any checks by itself. As this small mod to fix this was intended for a Infinity server, it must be a server side only mod. I already tried using the PlayerInteractEvent bug this seems to only be fired on the client in this case. Using the PlayerUseItemEvent and trying to raytrace the block the player is looking at also doesn't work. Is there any way to do this without ASM (I have exactly no knowledge of this black magic)?