[SOLVED][1.10.2] Modifying a vanilla dimension's World Generation

minisantur

Good day everyone. First of all, thank you for opening this topic and taking the time to assist me in my coding experience. That being said, I do ask for patience and for you to be ready for possibly low IQ questions.

Moving on to the matter at hand:

My goal is to make my new block, End Dirt (or Endirt) generate on End Islands, ranging from a Y thickness of 1 to 3 blocks. The block is made and is ready for generating. However, I have no idea how to override the world generation to make the top block of the islands endirt.

I started frying my brain and I'm stuck. I've tried all types of searches and YouTube video tutorials to get a general idea, but I failed to find anything that's not related to ore generation. I can't possibly figure out how to do this other than overriding the End's biome decoration, which I also have failed to do. Maybe I should have a clear understanding on how World Generation works entirely.

So, rounding up: how do I make the top 1-3 layers of the End Islands' blocks be my blocks?

I only have one file related to WorldGeneration, but it's for my ores and I doubt it will come into play here. I will post it if asked for, though. (If you do need me to post a file, remind me which internet domain was the most comfourtable to do so and I'll gladly upload it)

Thank you very much for your time and I hope you have a fantastic day.

UPDATE #1 at 19:42, 25/08/16:

I've created all the files necessary to override the End's world generation: the WorldProvider, the ChunkProvider, the MapGenEndCity (vanilla one requires the original ChunkProvider), and the WorldGenEndIsland(I believe the Obsidian Pillars and things related to the Dragon fight are handled by the DragonFightManager files). The thing is, I registered the WorldProvider and the dimension with the vanilla End dimension's ID (1) using

DimensionType.register(name, suffix, id, provider, keepLoaded);

but my version of the End isn't generating. I think I have to unregister the original End dimension before registering my new End dimension, but I have no idea how.

Any ideas?

SOLUTION

To modify an existing dimension, since you cannot edit base files, you need to create equal files to override them:

- WorldProvider class

- ChunkProvider class

- Extra classes used by these two classes.

Note: the ChunkProvider class is the one that handles the actual generation. So if you want to add or stuff, they should be handled there.

In my case, I just wanted to generate dirt in the End, so I just copied the vanilla files (ChunkProviderEnd & WorldProviderEnd), renamed them and modified them slightly.

Once you have these done, you need to unregister the the vanilla dimension, and register your new version of the dimension in its place. In your main mod file, where you have your initialization events, you add some lines of code in the preInit:

DimensionManager.unregisterDimension(id);
DimensionManager.registerDimension(id, type);

And that's it! There might be some more depth to this, but this is working for me. Thanks everyone!

I make sure to "thank" everyone who helps me <3

If i am correct your goal would be achived through overriding the vanilla end generation mainly the world provider. And if you were to post your code in bulk i recommend github. Though i am not asking you to post your code.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

If i am correct your goal would be achived through overriding the vanilla end generation mainly the world provider. And if you were to post your code in bulk i recommend github. Though i am not asking you to post your code.

Adding to Animefan, you should look at ChunkProviderEnd, specifically ChunkProviderEnd#buildSurfaces(ChunkPrimer), when considering what to override

Aaaah! That was what I missed. I completely forgot about the ChunkProvider files. I've been reading and understanding all the rest but I somehow completely missed these. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. And for remining me the web page was Github.

Adding to Animefan, you should look at ChunkProviderEnd, specifically ChunkProviderEnd#buildSurfaces(ChunkPrimer), when considering what to override

Exactly what I needed. If I manage to do this, I'll update the topic with my solution for people to see. Thank you!

Why not simply subscribe to the DecorateBiomeEvent.Post event? Check if the event#getWorld()#provider#getDimension returns 1 (end dimension), and then get the top solid block from event#getWorld()#getTopSolidOrLiquidBlock(pos) (getTopSolidOrLiquidBlock only goes after x & z, and iterates from top to bottom for the first solid block, for you).

Then simply change that block, if it is endstone (there's obsidian & bedrock in vanilla End's, modded can add much more) to your End Dirt block.

It'd be quite more simplistic with this approach:

• Only requires an Event-Handler
  • Don't need to override chunkprovider
  • Don't need to worry about other mod's doing the same thing and overriding your chunkprovider (Last one wins the race, here)

If you want a "natural" looking dirt depth, like normal dirt over stone in the overworld, you might want to lookup NoiseGeneratorOctaves, or NoiseGeneratorPerlin. You can find some examples in the various vanilla chunkproviders for those.

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

Why not simply subscribe to the DecorateBiomeEvent.Post event? Check if the event#getWorld()#provider#getDimension returns 1 (end dimension), and then get the top solid block from event#getWorld()#getTopSolidOrLiquidBlock(pos) (getTopSolidOrLiquidBlock only goes after x & z, and iterates from top to bottom for the first solid block, for you).

Then simply change that block, if it is endstone (there's obsidian & bedrock in vanilla End's, modded can add much more) to your End Dirt block.

It'd be quite more simplistic with this approach:

• Only requires an Event-Handler
  • Don't need to override chunkprovider
  • Don't need to worry about other mod's doing the same thing and overriding your chunkprovider (Last one wins the race, here)

If you want a "natural" looking dirt depth, like normal dirt over stone in the overworld, you might want to lookup NoiseGeneratorOctaves, or NoiseGeneratorPerlin. You can find some examples in the various vanilla chunkproviders for those.

This could also be the easiest way to do it, and probably the most compatible like you said, but I'm probably going to further "edit" and add more content than just dirt to the End, so using my own World and Chunk providers would, I think, prove to be more effective this way.

I'll definitely keep it in mind though. Thanks!

I've created all the files necessary to override the End's world generation: the WorldProvider, the ChunkProvider, the MapGenEndCity (vanilla one requires the original ChunkProvider), and the WorldGenEndIsland(I believe the Obsidian Pillars and things related to the Dragon fight are handled by the DragonFightManager files). The thing is, I registered the WorldProvider and the dimension with the vanilla End dimension's ID (1) using

but my version of the End isn't generating. I think I have to unregister the original End dimension before registering my new End dimension, but I have no idea how.

Any ideas?

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

I'll update this post with the solution and a proper title. Many thanks to everyone who pitched in!