Forge Config file Settings

Curtuff

I'm trying to get acquainted with the Forge and ForgeChunkLoading CFG files. Is there a guide to better understand what some of these different commands control and how to properly set them based on the server that is being hosted?

OR

Can you tell me if tell me if keeping chunks in dormant cache will allow dimensions to stay open longer?

The mod were playing kick's the player back to overworld upon death. The server will unload the dimension causing the initial chunk load lag. I'm guessing keeping a cache would help limit this from occurring...

Thanks

the chunk cache does not prevent dimensions from unloading, if you want to do that throw a chunk loader into the world, or make sure you registry the dimension as a 'keepLoaded' dimension in code.

The cache just helps the edge chunks that are being constantly loaded/unloaded.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

The dormant cache is how many chunks (per dimension) to keep in memory even after they are unloaded. If a chunk happens to quickly unload and load again the game won't need to go to the harddrive and reload it if the chunk is still in the dormant cache.

I guess I didn't word it properly but this answer sounds like what I was looking for. Basically the chunks around the spawn in (portal) will retain in the cache? How many chunks to retain to be optimal should I go with is the next question? I'm thinking to base this off my render distance would be sufficient if I'm reading this answer correctly.

Also, is there a CFG guide for Forge? I still unable to find any...

Thanks...

I guess I didn't word it properly but this answer sounds like what I was looking for. Basically the chunks around the spawn in (portal) will retain in the cache?

As I said before, No this is NOT the case.

IF the DIMESNION unload ALL chunks unload, even the ones in the cache.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

The dormant cache is how many chunks (per dimension) to keep in memory even after they are unloaded.

I'm sorry LexManos, that's not how I understood it by diesieben07 Quote. Then can you tell me exactly what get's cache'd by the "dormantChunkCacheSize=0" in the cfg?

How many times do I have to explain this.

when server call chunk.unload we stick it in a cache

if the server calls chunk.load and it's in the cache it loads it instantly.

When a DIMENSION UNLOADS it does world.unloadALLTHETHINGS

When it does that it doesn't give a shit about the cache it just UNLOADS EVERYTHING.

This isn't a hard concept.

I told you what you have to do to do what you want in my first post.

Throw down a chunkloader, there are TONS of mods out there that add them.

All this config does is increase the size of that cache.

The cache is ONLY used while the world is loaded.

If a player walks across a chunk boundary the chunks on the edge of his view get unloaded.

If he walks back and forth repeatidly, it loads and unloads the same chunks a lot.

The cache saves those rapidly loaded/unloaded chunks in memory so they dont have to hit the disk.

Its a REALLY simple concept.

That's a better explanation.

Or you could of just simply said it... "spare's your hard drive from additional unnecessary read/writes from people running back and forth while they are in a area".

If a chunk is 16x16 blocks I could change this value to 4 which would give the server a cache of 64x64 blocks loaded into cache?

Does that sound correct??

Although, that doesn't make a lot of sense because you'd be taxing your system even harder by the chunks being load at the edge of the radius... What's the point of the cfg setting then...