[1.10.2] [SOLVED] Item and ItemBlock and Block tooltips

Bektor

Hi,

I'm wondering how to add a translated and coloured tooltip to a block/item/itemblock.

That's what I've currently got:

tooltip.add(TextFormatting.DARK_GRAY + Constants.MOD_NAME);

I'm also wondering if the addInformation method to add a tooltip is client-side only or also server-side and for what the boolean advanced is.

Thx in advance.

Bektor

Developer of Primeval Forest.

To add a colour to your tooltip text you have to append a ChatFormatting element to the info argument in the addInformation method followed by your tooltip message. There is a lot of colours to choose from and you can find them as ChatFormatting elements under com.mojang.realmsclient.gui. You can also display the message in italic or bold. Here is an example:

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
@Override
public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, java.util.List<String> info, boolean par4) 
{
    info.add(com.mojang.realmsclient.gui.ChatFormatting.BLUE + "This is a simple item.");
    info.add(com.mojang.realmsclient.gui.ChatFormatting.ITALIC + "It's colour is blue.");    // newline
}

This method should always be client-side, I don't see how it would work server-side. The client is the one that displays the tooltip, the server can't do that. It could ask the client to display it, but the client would still have to be the one that actually displays it, so you would again need some custom code there.

I still haven't published a mod because I can never get that in-dev version just right to warrant a public release. And yes, after two years of mod development I am still learning to speak Java.

Follow me on GitHub: https://github.com/yooksi

Contact me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/yooksi

Read my Minecraft blog: https://yooksidoesminecraft.blogspot.de/

I'm also wondering if the addInformation method to add a tooltip is client-side only or also server-side and for what the boolean advanced is.

Add information is client side only.  It makes no sense on the server.

The

advanced

boolean, I believe, is true if the player is holding Shift.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Add information is client side only.  It makes no sense on the server.

The

advanced

boolean, I believe, is true if the player is holding Shift.

Ah, ok. Now when thinking about it.. makes sense. ^^

Oh and the

advanced

boolean isn't for holding shift stuff. Tested it a few seconds ago:

if(advanced)
        	tooltip.add(TextFormatting.BLACK + "the last of it - the last of them");

So when it is client-side only, which is the best way of translating a String in 1.10.2 (since it's been a long time since I last did such stuff [1.7 or 1.6 I think :P ]).

Using the text translation around the bit that isn't the color/formatting.

tooltip.add(TextFormatting.BLACK + I18n.translateToLocal("the last of it - the last of them"));

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Last time I checked

I18n.translateToLocal

was deprecated, so which one to use next?

I18N.format

? (BTW, that is in another Minecraft I18N class... there are 2...)

The advanced tooltips are enabled when you pres F3 + H ingame.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Using the text translation around the bit that isn't the color/formatting.

tooltip.add(TextFormatting.BLACK + I18n.translateToLocal("the last of it - the last of them"));

Last time I checked

I18n.translateToLocal

was deprecated, so which one to use next?

I18N.format

? (BTW, that is in another Minecraft I18N class... there are 2...)

The advanced tooltips are enabled when you pres F3 + H ingame.

Ah, ok thx. And

I18n.translateToLocal

is still deprecated.

And the method

format

wants a second parameter. I think there is even one more class... (not names I18n), but not quite sure about it.

I think the

I18N

class we should be using now is

net.minecraft.client.resources.I18N

. Atleast that is what every vanilla and Forge class is using. In the

I18N#format

method you can leave the second parameter empty if you don't have any formatting in the first

String

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

I think the

I18N

class we should be using now is

net.minecraft.client.resources.I18N

. Atleast that is what every vanilla and Forge class is using. In the

I18N#format

method you can leave the second parameter empty if you don't have any formatting in the first

String

Ok, thx. That works. Just letting this open if someone knows it to 100%. ;)

I think you meant

I18n.format("example.string", TextFormatting.BOLD, TextFormatting.RESET)