Updating a Mod - How to do it correctly?

Mister__Magister

(Almost) every method that took 3 integers takes an instance of BlockPos. IBlockAccess#getBlock is now IBlockAcces#getBlockState, which should call most methods on that you previously called on the Block instance.

• Like 1

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Thanks for your reply, larsgerrits!

While that is indeed very helpful, there are also many other errors, other than just BlockPos. How do I find out what the solutions to those are? Even more interesting to me is how you found out that every method that took 3 integers takes an instance of BlockPos. If I find out how you found it, I can do it for all future mod updates, as well as the other errors in this version.

Whenever something changes, you should go look at how something in vanilla which does it a lot like yours, and looking at which what the methods changed into.

For example, if you went and looked into the fence code, you can see how it detect blocks around them for its connections. This is when you see it now uses IBlockAccess#getBlockState with a BlockPos argument, instead of IBlockAccess#getBlock with 3 integers.

Also, learn how to use your IDE. For example, every 3 integer parameter were changed into a BlockPos parameter, you can use your IDE to override those methods, and it will automatically insert the correct method signature for you. And you can use your IDE for more stuff which will help you update.

The more updates you go through, the better you'll get at finding how to update your code, and combining that with asking questions on this forum, will get you a long way.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

First: When overriding any method, always use an @Override annotation so later version changes will flag mismatches. If you haven't already invested heavily in your update to this ancient code, then you should go back to the original and annotate every override. Then update the annotated code instead.

Also: Definitely learn how to get the most mileage out of your "editor" (IDE = Integrated Development Environment, which is editor + precompiler + compiler + linker + debugger). For instance, in Eclipse for Java, you should be able to highlight any identifier (class, method or object) and right-click for a context menu of things you can do to learn more. In this way, you can teleport throughout the Forge version of the Minecraft code learning what these methods need.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

23 hours ago, Mister__Magister said:

Here's an example of two lines of code that are showing up as red:

How do I find what the problem here is?

The problem there is that block and metadata information is now encapsulated inside an IBlockState object.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.