Logging and errors

Jay Avery

This is not a specific question, I'm more just wondering about best/recommended practises. Is it a good idea for a released mod to have some kind of logging system (like forge itself does), to use for recording and identifying issues? If so, where should this be? A log file of its own? Combined with something else? Just printed to the console? And how detailed should logging be? Should it only contain errors, should it record initialisation of the mod, in-game behaviour..? And if it's not particularly recommended for a mod to have a logging system, then what should be done with errors? For example I have a mod which takes user input in the config and resets it to the default if the input is invalid - it would be good to tell the user when this has happened, so where should that information go?

I'm sure a lot of this is just personal preference, but I'm interested to hear what other people do. I've never 'released' any code other than mods, so I have no idea what is normal in this kind of situation. Examples or recommended reading would be appreciated too. :)