ItemStack dye = new ItemStack(Item.dyePowder, 1, 1);
		ItemStack sil = new ItemStack(BasicItems.SiliconChip);
		GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(this, 4), new Object[]{
			" G ", " D ", " S ", 
			'G', glass, 'D', dye, 'S', sil
		});

}

And the ItemRegistry.getItem() in the TE API

private static final Map<String, ItemStack> registry = new TreeMap<String, ItemStack>();

/**
     * Returns an ItemStack containing the item that corresponds to the provided name.
     * @param name
     *            Name of the item.
     * @param qty
     *            Requested quantity of the item.
     */
    public static ItemStack getItem(String name, int qty) {

ItemStack result = registry.get(name);
        if (result != null) {
            result = result.copy();
            result.stackSize = qty;
        }
        return result;
    }

As far as i know ItemRegistry.getItem(); Takes a string as a name of an item which I think is "ItemBlockHardenedGlass" and an integer for item count and create a new ItemStack of HardenedGlass, that i can use in the crafting recipe.

But instead i get an NPE

java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.minecraft.item.crafting.CraftingManager.addRecipe(CraftingManager.java:200)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe(GameRegistry.java:259)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.addRecipe(GameRegistry.java:254)
at anotherWorld.common.basicItems.ItemRedLED.addCrafting(ItemRedLED.java:32)
at anotherWorld.common.basicItems.ItemRedLED.<init>(ItemRedLED.java:18)
at anotherWorld.common.basicItems.BasicItems.addItems(BasicItems.java:23)
at anotherWorld.common.onLoad.onLoading(onLoad.java:11)
at anotherWorld.common.AnotherWorld.load(AnotherWorld.java:53)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLModContainer.handleModStateEvent(FMLModContainer.java:487)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor3.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEvent(EventHandler.java:69)
at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:317)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:300)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:268)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:153)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEvent(EventHandler.java:69)
at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandler.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:317)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:300)
at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:268)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:86)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.initializeMods(Loader.java:676)
at cpw.mods.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:207)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:456)
at net.minecraft.client.MinecraftAppletImpl.startGame(MinecraftAppletImpl.java:44)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:744)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

And I'm sure that my mod loads after TE so it shouldn't be that it cant find the method, my only ideas is that that isnt the name of the block. But there is no listing of the blocks, or im using completely the wrong method to do what I want.

Also if i substitute the hardened glass for say an arrow or an item from my mod. It works fine :( So i dont know

Anyway if you know what im doing wrong, please tell me! :)

I'm Sparkst3r, that kid who makes Sphax textures.

Well hi there. :D

Since it's an NPE it should be easy to find by using the debugger inn an IDE of your choice.

Set a break point at this location: at anotherWorld.common.basicItems.ItemRedLED.addCrafting(ItemRedLED.java:32)

And see what happends when the 32nd line of ItemRedLED gets executed.

I'm not sure what line it is inn your add.Crafting method but I bet that one of the parameters you pass to the calls for ItemStack contains a refference to an object which == null

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

After looking around the API i found a method that printed out all the items registered in the registry. And it contained some of the basic blocks and items but hardened glass wasn't there so I'm guessing i was requesting a non existent block and that caused the NPE

Also if you want to look at my mod, it's on Github. I'm pretty new to modding, so my ways around doing things aren't exactly elegant. I would imagine Lex would cringe at my code if he saw it! :P Please poke me with a stick if I've made a stupid mistake too! :P

https://github.com/Sparkst3r/Another-World

Plus I'm only 14 and haven't had much experience yet! :P

Anyway thanks for your help :)

I'm Sparkst3r, that kid who makes Sphax textures.

Well hi there. :D