1.11.2 Forge Help needed. freezing, hitching, fps drops...

Glitched

Hello,

I could really use some help trying to figure this issue out.

I play on an online multiplayer minecraft server. Lately I've been experiencing terrible freezing or lag issues. No one else on the server seems to have this issue.

What I've noticed is that its a periodic issue. When it starts, it happens on more regularly. But i can also duplicate it when running through the same area or spots that it happens in. (I've used these areas to do my own testing). I encounter fps drop when this occurs. It could be 60 to 0 or 600 to 0, its just a sudden fps drop and the game lags for a good 2 or 3 minutes solid.

Things I've done so far:

- allocated more or less ram to the profile

- set minecraft/java to run as a priority on the PC

- updated GPU drivers

- Updated windows

- Updated java

- Updated Forge

- Updated Optifine

- Reinstall Minecraft

- Reinstall java

- Reinstall Forge

- Tried using a loader called Magic Loader which supposedly helps forge performance issues

- Tried not running shaders

- Tried lower resolution or no texture packs

- Closing all other programs and only running minecraft.

These things seemed to help a bit but not for long or at all. I'm still experiencing the same issues.

The last thing I tried was just running a profile not utilizing Forge. I ended up running a profile that just had optifine and another with nothing at all (complete vanilla). Without Forge, my game was running amazingly, the lag, hitching and freezing were all gone! So I believe I've isolated the issue further. But now I cant use mods or course. I haven't seen this before and this is something recent that started happening. I thought this was perhaps server related at first but other players using forge dont appear to have this issue. Plus when I removed forge, my issue were gone on the server as well.

My system specs are:

- i7-7700k Intel @4.2GHz

- Asus Maximus IX Code motherboard

- 32GB of G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 ram

- 2TB Western Digital HDD

- 250GB Samsung SSD EVO

- 250GB Samsung SSD PRO

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11G

If you want to see an example of the lag, here one of my vids where its very apparent:

Edited by Glitched
gammer correction

5 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Lag spikes like this can occur if your Java is configured wrongly (too much RAM, wrong GC settings). Please post the FML log and the JVM arguments from the launcher.

And don't use Magic Launcher.

Yeah i was only testing Magic Loader, didn't work so I'm definitely not going to use it.

I've attached the latest FML log and this is my current JVM arguments

-Xmx4G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M

fml-client-latest.log

So after more extensive testing... I found that none of the mods were causing this issue, it was definitely Forge. I ended installing an older version that was currently being recommend on the site. So I went from Forge 2512 back down to Forge 2386. Immediately I noticed a huge improvement. The game loaded much faster and SO FAR I have not experienced the freeze issue. Lets hope is stays that way. I'm not sure why the newer versions of Forge would have been causing this issue.

I'm not able to reproduce this in any way.

If you say it is a specific build of Forge then can you try isolating which build? As 126 builds is a bit to sift through when you can't reproduce it.

It also doesn't help it seems you picked a arbitrary build top jump back to, why did you jump from 1.12.2 to 1.12.0?

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

3 hours ago, LexManos said:

I'm not able to reproduce this in any way.

If you say it is a specific build of Forge then can you try isolating which build? As 126 builds is a bit to sift through when you can't reproduce it.

It also doesn't help it seems you picked a arbitrary build top jump back to, why did you jump from 1.12.2 to 1.12.0?

Not sure where you’re getting 1.12 from. The title of this post says 1.11.2, also as mentioned above, I was using forge 2512 and went down to forge 2386 (all found on the forge site for minecraft version 1.11.2) as it was the current recommended version on the site this morning.

6 minutes ago, Glitched said:

Not sure where you’re getting 1.12 from. The title of this post says 1.11.2, also as mentioned above, I was using forge 2512 and went down to forge 2386 (all found on the forge site for minecraft version 1.11.2) as it was the current recommended version on the site this morning.

14.23.0.2512 Is 1.12.2

13.20.1.2386 is 1.11.2

I'm not sure where you're getting 2512 being 1.11... {Also yes my original reply was me misreading the version list} So ya... you're not only jumping 100+ versions you're jumping a MAJOR Minecraft version....

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.

14.23.0.2512 Is 1.12.2

13.20.1.2386 is 1.11.2

I'm not sure where you're getting 2512 being 1.11... {Also yes my original reply was me misreading the version list} So ya... you're not only jumping 100+ versions you're jumping a MAJOR Minecraft version....

My mistake, i just checked and I meant 2513. That’s what I was running. As far as the 2386, this is what is being the recommended version front and center on the page for 1.11.2.  Regardless it still worked better than 2513. Any ideas?

434A95FE-75C2-4FD7-A086-CE3D185A0EB8.jpeg

Yes numbers actually mean things. Now there is only 18 builds involved. Tho nothing is jumping out at me in the changelog that would do anything. There are a couple things that should IMPROVE performance. Again can't reproduce on my end so it'd be up to you to narrow it down to a specific build so we can possibly fix it.Also, you should check your allocated RAM, hit F3 and watch it. If it's constantly going 90% and then freezing/dropping then its your GC thats having issues. Tho again, nothing on our end *should* cause it.

Yes numbers actually mean things. Now there is only 18 builds involved. Tho nothing is jumping out at me in the changelog that would do anything. There are a couple things that should IMPROVE performance. Again can't reproduce on my end so it'd be up to you to narrow it down to a specific build so we can possibly fix it.Also, you should check your allocated RAM, hit F3 and watch it. If it's constantly going 90% and then freezing/dropping then its your GC thats having issues. Tho again, nothing on our end *should* cause it.

This was a frequent issue on 2513. I tested the ram anywhere from 1GB to 16GB and everything in between. I’ll have to retest but I’m positive the % never reach 90% on any allocation from what I remember seeing, however it would still freeze and drop periodically. So far I’m not experiencing this on 2386 aside from some minor frequent hitching. I’m running a gigabyte 1080 Ti https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814125955

i don’t seem to have any issues running anything else in ultra settings. Is there any way or tools to test the GC further? 

Sorry, by GC I mean Garbage Collector, not Graphics Card. 

Sadly Minecraft is one of the games where the GFX card means rather little to the performance. It's fundamentally written poorly and doesn't utilize the GFX card as well as it should.

If you can grab a video with the debug stuff turned on it might be helpful.

11 hours ago, LexManos said:

Sorry, by GC I mean Garbage Collector, not Graphics Card. 

Sadly Minecraft is one of the games where the GFX card means rather little to the performance. It's fundamentally written poorly and doesn't utilize the GFX card as well as it should.

If you can grab a video with the debug stuff turned on it might be helpful.

So here's a clip using Forge 2513. This is an area I was able to consistently reproduce the issue all the time. I'm currently having 8GB of ram allocated as shown and I know this much is really not needed but I have tried this with 1GB to 4GB of allocated ram too and the results were the same. The amount of freezing isn't too long as previously encountered but its still occurring and the fps does dip.

I also saw that there's a newer version available of Forge: 2530. I went ahead and installed it. this version appears to be performing much better so far. I played about 3 hours on 2530 tonight and haven't noticed any issues. But im curious as to what might have been causing the freezing with 2513 in case its something i could prevent on my end in the future.

Edited by Glitched

Interesting, So it's not a obvious GC overhead. I would then have to start isolating the other mods you have installed. Your debug list shows 16 mods installed. 3 are Forge, 1 is Optifine {which may explain it, would need testing} and that leaves 12 others that are doing unknown things.
Upload your world and your modpack somewhere and we can take a look. But as I say with just Forge I can't reproduce any of this. So its something with your setup, 

9 hours ago, LexManos said:

Interesting, So it's not a obvious GC overhead. I would then have to start isolating the other mods you have installed. Your debug list shows 16 mods installed. 3 are Forge, 1 is Optifine {which may explain it, would need testing} and that leaves 12 others that are doing unknown things.
Upload your world and your modpack somewhere and we can take a look. But as I say with just Forge I can't reproduce any of this. So its something with your setup, 

I don't think the moderators would currently give out a copy of this world at the moment, its not mine, it belongs to another you-tuber known as gophersvids.

So I just ran another test, and i seem to now also be getting the same issue on 2530 after a 4 hour game session... (I'm confused now as this wasn't happening at all yesterday). I then removed all my mods and it was much better despite a slight noticeable hitch from time to time, otherwise its fine.

I'm attaching an image of just Forge no mods so you can see the mods installed with only forge. I'm also attaching another screenshot of my mod list as it keeps failing with i attempt to attach a zip of the folder or mods individually. At this point I would agree that it may be a specific mod. I tried testing for this last time and didn't seem to find anything as last time without mods on Forge 2513, I was still getting the same freeze issue. I guess Ill go back to looking at the mods on Forge 2530 now and going from there. Hopefully this new information would help though. Any ideas or stand out to you? I'm a bit lost with this at this point.

Here's a comparison of Forge 5230 with and without mods. This time with 4GB of ram allocated.

Just Forge no mods.jpg

modpack.jpg

Honestly, I'd blame anything that claims to give better performance, Esp considering your video shows it being fairly smooth the only hitch I saw was walking behind the 'chairs' and that could simply be a small desync between you and the server as you walked through the block with the door that you were using for the back of the chair.

I'd say avoid betterFPS/Optifine. Optifine only works well for specific users, and only on specific version of Forge/hardware configurations.

And yes we dont allow uploading of arbitarary files to our servers, but there are plenty of free file hosts out there. Just for future reference, I recommend DropBox or Google Drive.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:53 PM, LexManos said:

Honestly, I'd blame anything that claims to give better performance, Esp considering your video shows it being fairly smooth the only hitch I saw was walking behind the 'chairs' and that could simply be a small desync between you and the server as you walked through the block with the door that you were using for the back of the chair.

I'd say avoid betterFPS/Optifine. Optifine only works well for specific users, and only on specific version of Forge/hardware configurations.

And yes we dont allow uploading of arbitarary files to our servers, but there are plenty of free file hosts out there. Just for future reference, I recommend DropBox or Google Drive.

Well I think I can rule out betterFPS and Optifine. After removing both, I still seemed to have the freezing issue. I rather like optifine though as it lets me use shaders so hopefully its not part of the problem. I dont think ill be using betterFPS any longer though, honestly i dont notice a difference with or without it. It wasn't until i removed all the mods again and ran forge only that it seemed to clear up. I guess I'll keep removing the other mods one by one to hopefully find the culprit.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I’ve narrowed it down to a mod called mo bends. Been playing a few days now and no issues. It a shame though, this mod is pretty entertaining to play with as it adds extra motion and animation to players and mobs.  But how it ended up affecting performance is not worth it. It’s still strange how it initially started and would behave in the earlier stages of testing but I guess what matters is that things are good now. Thanks for your help.