[SOLVED][1.12.2] ModelBakery problem when adding more than 1 item

American2050

I am having problems when using the ModelBakery.registerItemVariants for more than 1 item.

In my main class I have on preInit

ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.DUMMY, new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID, "dummy_on"), new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID, "dummy_off"));
        ItemMeshDefinition customMeshDefinition = new ItemMeshDefinitionHandler();
        ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition(ModItems.DUMMY, customMeshDefinition);

Problem is, when I add one more, for example:

ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.ANOTHER_DUMMY, new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID, "another_dummy_on"), new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID, "another_dummy_off"));
ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition(ModItems.ANOTHER_DUMMY, customMeshDefinition);

I get this error on console and the texture breaks.

Exception loading model for variant machinecards:dummy#inventory for item "machinecards:dummy", blockstate location exception: 
net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoaderRegistry$LoaderException: Exception loading model machinecards:dummy#inventory with loader VariantLoader.INSTANCE, skipping

Why is this happening?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by American2050
Updated to Solved

Let me add:

I tried now creating separate Mesh handlers for each item (Not the problem)
What I do notice is that whatever the 2nd items created is. That texture breaks.

LogHelper.info("Model Bakery");
        ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.DUMMY, new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID, "dummy_on"), new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID, "dummy_off"));
        ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.ANOTHER_DUMMY, new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID, "another_dummy_on"), new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID, "another_dummy_off"));

LogHelper.info("Model Loader");
        ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition(ModItems.DUMMY, new MeshHandlerDummy());
        ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition(ModItems.ANOTHER_DUMMY, new MeshHandlerAnotherDummy());

I got rid of the errors on console by leaving dummy.json and another_dummy.json files on the models (Even they shouldn't be called or used)

So not sure what's the problem. I invert the order I call each item and both work, but only the 1st one, the 2nd always show missing textures ingame.

The class that manages the textures: (The unified one from OP)

public class ItemMeshDefinitionHandler implements ItemMeshDefinition{

@Override
	public ModelResourceLocation getModelLocation(ItemStack stack) {

if(stack.getItem() == ModItems.DUMMY) {
			if(MCHelper.getBooleanFromStackNBT(stack, ItemDummy.TAG, ItemDummy.STATE)) {
				return new ModelResourceLocation(stack.getItem().getRegistryName() + "_on", "inventory");
			}
			else {
				return new ModelResourceLocation(stack.getItem().getRegistryName() + "_off", "inventory");
			}
		}

else if(stack.getItem() == ModItems.ANOTHER_DUMMY) {
			if(MCHelper.getBooleanFromStackNBT(stack, ItemAnotherDummy.TAG, ItemAnotherDummy.STATE)) {
				return new ModelResourceLocation(stack.getItem().getRegistryName() + "_on", "inventory");
			}
			else {
				return new ModelResourceLocation(stack.getItem().getRegistryName() + "_off", "inventory");
			}
		}		

return null;
	}

}

Edited by American2050

They are items, so no blockstates. But the .json files on models/item look like

another_dummy_off.json

{
    "parent": "item/generated",
    "textures": {
        "layer0": "machinecards:items/dummy_off"
    }
}

another_dummy_on.json & another_dummy.json

{
        "layer0": "machinecards:items/dummy_on"
    }
}

dummy_off.json

{
        "layer0": "machinecards:items/dummy_off"
    }
}

dummy_on.json & dummy.json

{
        "layer0": "machinecards:items/dummy_on"
    }
}

Could the problem be in this files? That's something I haven't thought of, as the textures works if I change the order I register them.

PS: One thing I noticed is that the items with broken textures aren't even calling the Model Handler class. No idea why :(

33 minutes ago, Aarilight said:

Try passing ModelBakery.registerItemVariants() the names as ModelResourceLocations instead of ResourceLocations

Tried like:

LogHelper.info("Model Bakery & Model Loader");

ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.ANOTHER_DUMMY, new ModelResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID + ":another_dummy_on", "inventory"), new ModelResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID + ":another_dummy_off", "inventory"));

ModelBakery.registerItemVariants(ModItems.DUMMY, new ModelResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID + ":dummy_on", "inventory"), new ModelResourceLocation(ModInfo.MODID + ":dummy_off", "inventory"));

ItemMeshDefinition modelsHandler = new ModelsHandler();
		ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition(ModItems.ANOTHER_DUMMY, modelsHandler);
		ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition(ModItems.DUMMY, modelsHandler);

All of that in preInit. Still same issue, the first item renders correctly, the 2nd does not. I believe I already tried, but... It's ok that the handler is the same?

This is the ItemDummy class. Just in case, I don't know if the problem could be here...

public class ItemDummy extends ItemGenericNoModel{

public static final String TAG = "dummy";
	public static final String STATE = "dummy.state";

public ItemDummy(String name, boolean andRegister) {
		super(name, andRegister);
		this.setMaxStackSize(1);
	}

@Override
	public ActionResult<ItemStack> onItemRightClick(World worldIn, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand handIn){
		ItemStack stack = playerIn.getHeldItem(handIn);

if(!worldIn.isRemote && playerIn.isSneaking()){
			MCHelper.setBooleanToStackNBT(stack, TAG, STATE, !MCHelper.getBooleanFromStackNBT(stack, TAG, STATE));
		}		
		return new ActionResult<ItemStack>(EnumActionResult.PASS, playerIn.getHeldItem(handIn));
    }

@Override
    public void onCreated(ItemStack itemStack, World worldIn, EntityPlayer playerIn){
    	MCHelper.createNBTData(itemStack, TAG, STATE, false);
    }

@Override
    @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, @Nullable World worldIn, List<String> tooltip, ITooltipFlag flagIn)
    {
    	tooltip.add("Sneak Right Click to change state");

if(MCHelper.getBooleanFromStackNBT(stack, TAG, STATE)) {
    		tooltip.add("Active");
    	}
    	else {
    		tooltip.add("Inactive");
    	}

}

}

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm really confuse about this, specially with no error showing on console to help decode where the error is.