Any good custom furnace tutorials?

Zeretul4

Hey everyone, I've been working on a mod and I know the basics like adding items, blocks, recipes, ore generation, etc. But what I don't know is how to make even a basic furnace that just copies the original vanilla kind but with some minor differences. I see some crazy things in mods like industrial craft and forestry, but I can't even imagine how to make those. The biggest problem is that i can't really find a good tutorial on how to even get started. The few that i could find where just basic copy past tutorials that explained nothing and didn't even work. I know it's possible after seeing some the crazy mods out there, but my biggest question is where do they learn how to do this? Thanks guys!

while not 100% sure most of them simply experimented with the vanilla furnace trying to add things to it untill it worked just right. i know thats what i've been doing with all my stuff, then when i hit a brick wall i ask for any help on exactly what i need.

but in general you'd need a tile entity, thats where all the heavy work is done in the furnace

a block that extends container, that way it holds the items needed

and the interface

the tile entity will need a array of itemstacks , one for each furnace slot.

then farther down where it sets whats in the output slot ( 2 in the normal furnace ) you can put any item there or if items exist increment how many are there.

its a bit big to just jump into the vanilla furnace and see whats happening , but if u need make a copy of the files and refactor them so the vars are easily readable and it should make it easier to figure out what all is happening.

good luck.

every tutorial I saw was just modifying vanilla furnace, so a lot of "magic" code. you can take a look at my kitchen board (although there are some redundancies in the block class, it does work), maybe it helps you. it needs a knife instead of fuel to work.

width=352 height=332http://jaffas.moxo.cz/wiki/_media/pictures/kitchenboardgui.png[/img]

https://github.com/mnn/jaffas/blob/0ff7080783cdded74c8d6f4d735160fa9c52395e/src/minecraft/monnef/jaffas/food/block/TileEntityBoard.java (you can browse the repo)

• Thanks 1

mnn.getNativeLang() != English

If I helped you please click on the "thank you" button.