Jump to content

Why is player name and player UUID changing every time I run my mod?


MrChoke

Recommended Posts

Just now, MrChoke said:

I an notcing I get a different randomized name and a different UUID e

Because you are not specifying your account that you want to play as in the program arguments. There is a post on here about that and it was posted in just recently.

  • Thanks 1

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You mean when you run it from Eclipse, right? All you need to do is make sure your Run Configuration includes the program arguments for your username and password.

 

It is a good tip to specify this because many times when modding you want continuity between test runs (like having same things in inventory, or having certain Capability values retained.)

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, jabelar said:

having same things in inventory, or having certain Capability values retained.

These are in no way related to UUIDs in single player which is where you will spend most of your time modding. Player data is stored within the level.dat file and that includes the capabilities.

 

However when you are modding for multiplayer you also might want the UUID to be random to generate random players to join them all to a server.

 

In general I see little point in keeping the player login data consistent. It doesn't matter in single player and you want different players for multiplayer. There are however cases when you need to store something about the player by the UUID - say their relationship points with villagers - those would be stored in a map<UUID, Integer> in the entity. But these edge cases are far and between.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

These are in no way related to UUIDs in single player which is where you will spend most of your time modding. Player data is stored within the level.dat file and that includes the capabilities.

 

I don't think you understand the problem. If you don't set the run configuration, every time you run in single player you will be a new player (Player123, etc.). If you have anything in your mod that depends on this, (usually things that "remember the player" like tamed animals and such) -- for example I have tile entities which keep track of which player placed them, then anything you do in one game session will not persist in the next.

 

Technically, the game DOES save in the dat for the previous player, but you can't really access that because you can't log in as that player again.

 

You're not the same player each time you run from Eclipse unless you force it with the Run Configuration.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jabelar said:

If you have anything in your mod that depends on this, (usually things that "remember the player" like tamed animals and such) -- for example I have tile entities which keep track of which player placed them, then anything you do in one game session will not persist in the next.

36 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

There are however cases when you need to store something about the player by the UUID - say their relationship points with villagers - those would be stored in a map<UUID, Integer> in the entity. But these edge cases are far and between.

 

24 minutes ago, jabelar said:

You're not the same player each time you run from Eclipse unless you force it with the Run Configuration.

I was just clarifying this point of yours

1 hour ago, jabelar said:

having same things in inventory, or having certain Capability values retained.

These are independent of which player you are since these are stored in the level.dat file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, I stand corrected about single player mode. There are things like inventory and capabilities that persist, but modded things like tameable entity ownership can have trouble.

 

I always test in dedicated server mode -- I highly recommend most modders should do this to avoid all those "side-only" problems people invariably run into. As you mentioned, in the dedicated server (i.e. multiplayer) mode, each new run of a client that connects will cause inventory and capabilities to disappear affecting continuity of your testing unless you force the login.

 

In both cases, it is probably "safest" to force the login if you're doing things related to specific players.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Like, how does one force logging in with the same UUID in different singleplayer sessions?
I'm having trouble in singleplayer keeping my UUID consistent. (I can't  touch my machines and drawers anymore)

On 10/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, jabelar said:

You're not the same player each time you run from Eclipse unless you force it with the Run Configuration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.